Bt tools

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/electricianforum/various/IDC_Krone_Type_PunchDown_tool_telephone_on_talkelectricianforumcouk.png

One of those^^

we should really carry an old phone too but we usually use the customers.

And if it is imposible or going to cost the customer alot of money getting a cable where they need it we advise using one of these,

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97658&C=Froogle&U=97658&T=Module

these can be used for sky boxes too, it may seem a bit steep for all that it is but sometimes it can work out alot cheeper.

Do you need a special pair of pliers or will any do?
You don't need a special pair of pliers, but to do it properly you do. The proper pliers will crimp it square, even and correctly. Normal pliers will crimp it on the squiff in a random fashion.

You don't need a special pair of pliers, but to do it properly you do. The proper pliers will crimp it square, even and correctly. Normal pliers will crimp it on the squiff in a random fashion.all you do then is crimp it the other way round,,,, job done

all you do then is crimp it the other way round,,,, job done
Well yes, the point I was trying to get across was you could use any od pliers, in just the same way as you could use a pair of side cutters to crimp up a through crimp. Right tool for the job, end of.

Well yes, the point I was trying to get across was you could use any od pliers, in just the same way as you could use a pair of side cutters to crimp up a through crimp. Right tool for the job, end of.
If you can get them for that money there's no excuse!

you can correctly crimp a jelly crimp with normal pliers. you cannot correctly crimp a through crimp with sidecutters.

I have the CK one and i think it is top notch..... never fails to get the cable into its connection and cutting off the extra length thats not needed...... so i would say go for the CK one...... they all look the same so it could just be a name your paying for sometimes.

It's hard to tell which one to get most of the time, some of the cheap ones are fine, some aren;t. I've always had actual Krone punchdown tools and they've lasted for years, but the cheaper ones look identical in most cases. Horses for courses, I've punched down millions of cables, for the occasional use then the cheap one is probably just as good, but the Krone ones are only a tenner so not worth it TBH.

Having worked for BT on the tools i can say the only ones used (and in this order) are: -

1) Flask of Tea

2) Big Mug for Tea

3) Krone Tool / BT Yellow Side Cutters / Screwdriver

4) Yellow Butt Phone