Builders not paying!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would speak to the person who owned the property where you done the work and let them know that you weren't paid by the builder, I would contact the people that gave him a reference and let as many people know, I would also arrange for all of the people that you know to request quotations and estimates for extensions, garages etc to waste his time. I would make his life as difficult as possible, also contact trading standards and get his name on the dodgy list of contractors.

In which case a Ltd. Co. is a legal entity in its own right, so actually, the guy you are blaming has not done you over, the company has, if it did, the company may have done him over too, you don't know, it can happen trust me.

If you can speak to the people for whom you worked, then they can pay you direct as the receiver WILL be demanding the money from them, however, they can divert the payments if they wish.

It is complex and the law can be bent.

If they are limited, I was told that if they trade frauduletly the directors can face prosecution but it never seems to happen .

I was ripped off by a well known producer of electrical insulating material to the tune of

Yes Deke this is true, but fraudulent trading is like rape, easy to say difficult to prove.

Also some small company directors don't actually know and understand the rules as there is no real training and info for you if you just find yourself as a company director of a private limited company!

Yes Deke this is true, but fraudulent trading is like rape, easy to say difficult to prove.Also some small company directors don't actually know and understand the rules as there is no real training and info for you if you just find yourself as a company director of a private limited company!
I get the impression that many small businesses, sole traders, partnerships, Ltd Co's, probably a majority, have little or no prior knowledge of good practice and administration of running a business. They just jump in with some practical skills of their trade or service and pick up the business stuff as they go, sometimes successfully other times not so.

Doc H.

Doc , I think most sole traders do just as you say, just start trading ,do your plumbing/sparking/decorating and hope for the best.

Someone said to me once, " You're a businessman , you understand what I'm saying " I had to say , "No, I'm an electrician who works for himself , thats a million miles from being a businessman".

OK

the following post is made by someone whoe is drunk, please accept spooling mistukes.

As someone that has had a business go down around there neck, you do the best to sort it out.

Not always possible.

From reading comment here I think Sidey was close to it, but managed to avoid it.

I didnt.

Belive me not fun, so if you are going into self employment make sure you have the work.

I did it and got it wrong, It cost me my home, my marrige and my businnes.

I'm not saying dont do it, but do do your homework first.

philbas,

You post when read this morning made sense!

You are correct and also incorrect in your comments.

I have learned quite a lot about company insolvency and many people do put everything into it and some don't manage to make it work, those find out the hard way after months if not years of hard work, and it is often not their fault.

I am sorry to hear of your previous predicament and I applaud :Applaud your honesty, I sincerely hope that things go better for you from now on. :good luck:

Sounds like you learned the hard way ,Philbas!!!
I did learn the hard way.

However, my staff all got good redundancy payments and my suppliers got payed in full, then I went down. So the only person that lost was me.