building control

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougal

Reaction score
I have a meeting with building control tomorrow at my sister-in-laws house.

I am currently doing a partial rewire there for my big job towards registration.

Building control was informed before work started and we were told it was ok to start.

The local building control guy has now said that I should not be doing the work as I am not registered with a competant person scheme. the only people who should work on the electrical system in his veiw are registard sparks or householders no matter what electrical knowledge they have? :|

I have found parts in the front of the electricians guide to the building regs to prove that I can do the work. I am also digging out all my certs including my 17th edition cert to show him that I am qualified in regards to bs7671.

Is their anything else I can throw at this guy to teach him their rules?

Your slacking Andy, that reply took you 5 min, 3 more than your normal ;)
had look through 10 pages of crap, go back to index, then find out it was on page 11, then quickly read page 11 to make sure it was right, and then post it all here

Yeh ask him for a copy of his 17th edition quals pound to a pinch of the brown stuff he aint got any. The man is talking out his a**e (where do they find these muppetsX( X( ) if you still get greif just speak direct to the head of BC.

At the end of the day if you/your sis have paid a fee and you get them in at 1st fix and after testing you have done everything that is required.

Craig

why dont you ask him where it says you are not allowed to do it ?????

i would think he doesnt know what he is looking for when he comes out to have a look at your work

it could be that he is carping himself

I have found that building control in my area havent much idea about part p at all.It seems that you get a different opinion from different staff in the same office.

Is their anything else I can throw at this guy to teach him their rules?
How about a "punch"?

:eek:

]:)

:D

That was a joke by the way - Don't fill him in. :)

How would anyone ever become registered for Part P if they could'nt actually do a job ?

What your guy is saying then is, anyone can do the wiring as long as they are not a qualified electrician who hasn't joined a scam provider ! Crazy !

Deke

How would anyone ever become registered for Part P if they could'nt actually do a job ?What your guy is saying then is, anyone can do the wiring as long as they are not a qualified electrician who hasn't joined a scam provider ! Crazy !

Deke
maybe get a re-wire done, use for assessment, pass assessment, then submit re-wire....

You dont notify, just do the job, then use for assessment, notify afterwards. Assessor never asks if it has been notified.

maybe get a re-wire done, use for assessment, pass assessment, then submit re-wire....
If the law now says that you can't do domestic wiring unless you are a DIY er . Lets face it , how many DIYers or non electricians do you think , actually notify their LBC . The whole thing is a farce really.

Deke

You dont notify, just do the job, then use for assessment, notify afterwards. Assessor never asks if it has been notified.
i know the NIC checked the jobs a mate of mine had used for his assessment. the job i used, i wasnt asked if it had been notified (elecsa)

My local Building Control only want a copy of installation certificate on completion of the job - agree with previous posts - guess you spoke to the "Tea-Boy" in BC who knew nothing.

Come on craig were gaggin to here what pearls they came up with at your meeting today, we need a good giggle:^O

My local Building Control only want a copy of installation certificate on completion of the job
they can ask, and if any work is done to 7671, they should be issued by the person doing the work anyway. but it does clearly state in document p that the council is responsible for I&T and at their expense

well had the meeting today and all this has come up due to the plonker that is my sister-in-laws boy freind.

he had given the impression that I was not qualified.

when I told him I was qualified to 17th edition and issueing certs as required in the regs, he just said to carry on.

he did state that he would require a copy of my 17th edition qual. when I submit a copy of the EIC

what a disapointment I was looking forward to putting him right.

the guy from building control seemed bothered about having to pay for an electrician to come and inspect my work.

He will accept my EIC and not bother with paying for another contractor to check which seemed to make him very happy

well had the meeting today and all this has come up due to the plonker that is my sister-in-laws boy freind. he had given the impression that I was not qualified.

when I told him I was qualified to 17th edition and issueing certs as required in the regs, he just said to carry on.

he did state that he would require a copy of my 17th edition qual. when I submit a copy of the EIC

what a disapointment I was looking forward to putting him right.
doh!!!

does that mean I can't whack him round the chops with a big wet haddock then??? :_| :_| ]:)