burning

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bit of further investigation today,

4 sockets fed off the upstairs lights (live test was easy)

one socket in the living room has no cpc

she'd be a bit mad not to go for it. You could always put a seperate shower unit in, but surely that burnt out fuse has demonstrated how dodgy fuse wire can be. Especially if you got a ring with 1mm earth.

probably find that there'l be a snapped earth in another socket, reconnect that and reconnect earth to that socket, probably take less time and cheaper then fitting a new one

she'd be a bit mad not to go for it. You could always put a seperate shower unit in, but surely that burnt out fuse has demonstrated how dodgy fuse wire can be. Especially if you got a ring with 1mm earth.probably find that there'l be a snapped earth in another socket, reconnect that and reconnect earth to that socket, probably take less time and cheaper then fitting a new one
it is 2 core mate, prob off a jb under the floor

The burnt out fuse carrier and damage to the cable, could have been caused by scoring of the cable core when the insulation was removed, with side cutters.

latest on this, got the go ahead to do remedials.

disused imersion on eco7 became my feed to the loft, (the tank was already in the loft immersion still wired in, she has combi now no one thought to dissconect it)

dissconected a string of jb feeding sockets from light circuit,

ir test on lights >299 like the rest of the house circuits.

split the sockets feeds ir was low on the one feeding the combi.

a back box for an ariel had been choped in over the cable and shreaded it.

choped wall out and moved socket up feeding combi.

conected socket feed with wago to imersion feed.

r1 r2 0.61. heres is the thing 2 of the sockets are fed in 1mm 3core. its going on a 16amp mcb should i fuse this down, is it different to a 2.5 spur off a 32amp 4mm radial, only other way is to chop wall out to replace cable. what do u think ? thanks

just to add when a circuit has different cable csa, do you put both or the alteration on the cert, under live and cpc csa

thanks

1mm Feeding a socket is not to clever, You would have to protect it at 10 Amp max, You can normally get away with 1.5 fused at 13 amps of a FCU but I would rewire it in 2.5 myself.

If You look at the MWC it asks for details of "wiring system used to MODIFY the circuit".

Remedials can be a right pain but I find its best to go for the best option that is reasonable thinking of the long term, You will get no thanks for installing a socket that trips/ blows fuse if they try and use anything with any load, to the customer a 13 Amp socket should supply anything with a 13 Amp plug on it.

tom...(and maselec, badger, fletchflash.....)

if you're on tncs... the 6mm bonding needs upgrading to 10mm... no debate.

for tt or tns you need to do the adiabatic equation to decide if 6mm is big enough to carry the fault current (or upgrade it anyway to comply)

it's reg 543.1.3..... i can't do the symbols typing here, but if you're having trouble doing or understanding this

post up the pfc.... and the main fuse type, and someone will calculate it for you.

you can use this equation as a reason for not changing an earthing conductor or bonding....(only for tt or tns tho').... and it's all in the brb.

tom...(and maselec, badger, fletchflash.....)if you're on tncs... the 6mm bonding needs upgrading to 10mm... no debate.

for tt or tns you need to do the adiabatic equation to decide if 6mm is big enough to carry the fault current (or upgrade it anyway to comply)

it's reg 543.1.3..... i can't do the symbols typing here, but if you're having trouble doing or understanding this

post up the pfc.... and the main fuse type, and someone will calculate it for you.

you can use this equation as a reason for not changing an earthing conductor or bonding....(only for tt or tns tho').... and it's all in the brb.
good post mate thanks just working through it now

1361 type 2

pfc 2.2ka