Cable colours

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as in duckhams?or Greece, as in holiday?

and apart from the cheapo holiday joints and lack of enforcing regs the actual rules in Greece aint too bad, its the adhere ance to them that lacks.

and bear in mind,

I did say DEVELOPED countries,#Greece/ etc just about touches this criteria.
I meant Greece. Went on holiday after my A levels and was horrified at the state of the electrics and plumbing :|

I did say DEVELOPED countries
Applaud Smiley

You lot got it all wrong, cos i was joining red and green together whilst you were all sucking your screwdrivers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or was it red and black ???????????? Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink
Given the amount of MY guinnes that you`re supping, I didn`t have you pegged as being THAT old & wrinkly.

Sorry - my mistake] :)

A slight tanget - why not make cable with the earth sheathed?Also what's up with solid core 2.5mm?
COST! ;)

As live & neutral are both current carrying conductors...

they both need basic insulation to prevent electric shock... :|

CPC/earth, in normal use, is a NON current carrying conductor. :)

under fault conditions should only be for a minimum time. ;)

COST! ;) As live & neutral are both current carrying conductors...

they both need basic insulation to prevent electric shock... :|

CPC/earth, in normal use, is a NON current carrying conductor. :)

under fault conditions should only be or a minimum time. ;)
I thought that may have been the answer. Would make it a bit thicker too!

If you look here you will find that it was the UK who proposed the change of colours (and the colours to be used) for harmonisation.
Well it's not quite the case is it. I've read this pdf and it essentially reduces to the UK (having been presented with a fait accompli...Blushing) knocking the continental's heads together saying...

"yes we'll comply with your harmonization (ever greater union) process when you sort out the chaos of your own systems. Try this!"
and I can certainly testify to the chaotic use of colours deployed in Italian machine tools! but it didn't stop me working on them even with tall the drawings in Italian.

There was absolutely NO NEED to compromise our safety by doing this.

There were and are concerns thenthat a colour change would put at risk

the excellent safety record of the UK

with respect to electrical installations

in buildings. The UK

To be honest Carter, I don't think the core of the problem that you seem to have with European Electrical Harmonization is about electricity. You just don't like EU membership.

Would I be right in saying that you would like to take us back out of Europe and cut all ties? No immigration into this country from member states?

Having worked in France (for a brief time admittedly) some of their older electrical systems leave a lot to be desired however I think their use of double pole fuses, rcd's and rcbo's is a far better system than what we use. It means that when you isolate a circuit it is truly isolated.

You must admit that is a much safer system than the single pole isolation we use?

Modern French design is as good as ours now and I'm sure that German design is probably better than ours.

To be honest Carter, I don't think the core of the problem that you seem to have with European Electrical Harmonization is about electricity. You just don't like EU membership.Would I be right in saying that you would like to take us back out of Europe and cut all ties? No immigration into this country from member states?
I'd go with that! I'm not sure we as a country get good value from Europe. We get a load of unnecessary bureaucracy that we implement much more strongly than most of our European neighbours.

I appreciate there are trade advantages BUT I'm sure the EU would still buy our wares and we'd have to buy there's.

I'm for immigration to fill skills shortages but not open immigration from member states.

Now we're getting political :|

Greetings Apache, well 2.5 solid core is one of my pet hates when shoving sockets back, (yes I know you can shape 'em) Trouble is I remember the pre-metric stranded 7/.029 which was like silk to use.

As for your slight tangent, I removed some 1.5 T/E Pirelli PVC with a g/yell insulated earth core.

Kept asking for some at my wholesalers but they could'nt locate any. I always assumed the bare earth keeps the overall cable size down , but would await flak on that.

Deke

To be honest Carter, I don't think the core of the problem that you seem to have with European Electrical Harmonization is about electricity. You just don't like EU membership.Would I be right in saying that you would like to take us back out of Europe and cut all ties? No immigration into this country from member states?

Having worked in France (for a brief time admittedly) some of their older electrical systems leave a lot to be desired however I think their use of double pole fuses, rcd's and rcbo's is a far better system than what we use. It means that when you isolate a circuit it is truly isolated.

You must admit that is a much safer system than the single pole isolation we use?

Modern French design is as good as ours now and I'm sure that German design is probably better than ours.
I would disagree German design is better than ours. I connected a counter unit in a butchers shop a few years back. I had to connect supply into it. When I tested it all the thirteen amp sockets on it where reverse polarity. The German installers of the units did not think this was a problem. I would disagree.

Batty

carter spark doc is trying to get hold of you but your pm is off.

The main reason the germans and the french dont worry about polarity is because they use double pole swithes so they dont worry . Not right though.

Talking of dead giveaways Carter. After the change of neutral colour in the UK.

several Elec board sparks were killed working on three phase underground cables (working live). "so much for harmonisation"!!!

Hi Carter.It all comes back. I remember from the forum that shall not be named (the one we all left) politics was your strong point.
Or weak point. A matter of perspective really.

He could try them elsewhere really, we're an electrical forum.

If you want to talk about hazards of the blue/black cross on three-phase then fine. If you want to spout off how it's all Europes fault and soon we will be overwhelmed by 'other races' then save it for the Express/Daily Mail forums thank you very much.