Existing 1way to new 2 way switching + wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slippery

Reaction score
 I want to use existing 2gang 2way switch that at present operates the  centre lights on 1 switch, wall lights on other switch, changing to 2way opperation on centre lights only, installing a new triple + earth cable  and new 1way 2 gang switch at other end of the living room

the existing wiring is not as I was expecting, the old colour triple wire (Red) feeds the common on 1 switch WALL LIGHTS, and loops the red feed to the common on the other switch controlling CENTRE LIGHTS, the (triple blue) and (twin black) are in together in a connecter in the back of the metal clad box

I assume that the (triple yellow) from L2 goes to the centre lights, and the (twin red)  from L2 on the other switch to the wall lights,

I am hoping that I could on the existing the centre light switch, move the red looped feed from the common to L1, allowing me to add the new triple cable to the appropriate LI, L2, common then run the triple to the newly positioned 2way switch at the other end of the room,

making the same L1, L2, common connections with the new cable

Tried to add rough drawing to help explain, but was unable to do it, any suggestions please ?               

You need 10 posts before you can upload a picture but you can add a link to an external site iirc

ive read your post 3 times and don’t understand it

Last edited by a moderator:
If I understand correctly you don't need to change the existing wiring at all.

Just use your new 3 core to connect the new switch to the existing switch, C to C, L1 to L1, and L2 to L2.  Use the brown core to connect the C, as that's the live feed. Don't forget to connect the earth at both switches.

Hi Geoff 1946

That's correct existing wiring is staying (old Colours), but the switch for centre lights has loop feed going to the common connection, so can I move it to L1 , and leave the yellow which would normally be the common in old wiring in L2,  as to leave the common connection free for the new triple wiring (new colours) brown / grey / black

which would make it possible to mirror the connections at the new 2 way switch position ?

then would it be, at existing switch new brown in L1 with the red loop feed together in L1, then grey together in L2 with yellow to lights in L2 , leaving the black to go in the common connection between both switches

is black or grey used as the common on 2 way switching now ?  (I can always swap them round)

does the new black wire  (common) need to have red  marking on it to indicate that it could be live,  then of course the earth sleeved with existing earths in metal box, and the earth also connected sleeved at the metal box in the new position

would all this still work the existing centre lights from both switch positions please ?

There are different ways of wiring two way switches and I think the one I've proposed, with live feed on common, is acceptable.  Someone else on here will correct me if I'm wrong. 

If you start changing the existing cores around it just increase the risk that either you or I have misunderstood something. 

If you really feel you have to reconfigure it to put live on one of the strap wires then still keep brown as live feed, (as you have suggested). 

There are different ways of wiring two way switches and I think the one I've proposed, with live feed on common, is acceptable.  Someone else on here will correct me if I'm wrong. 

If you start changing the existing cores around it just increase the risk that either you or I have misunderstood something. 

If you really feel you have to reconfigure it to put live on one of the strap wires then still keep brown as live feed, (as you have suggested). 
If you link two switches with 3 core linking C to C, L1 to L1 and L2 to L2, then your L feed in will be to L1 and your switched L out will be from L2 with nothing connected to C apart from the interlinking wire.

If you link two switches with 3 core linking C to C, L1 to L1 and L2 to L2, then your L feed in will be to L1 and your switched L out will be from L2 with nothing connected to C apart from the interlinking wire.
Absolutely right. 

I apologise Slippery you were right in the first place!  Sorry for misleading you,  My version will switch it on from both ends but not provide two way operation.

It's what comes of trying to visualise the circuit rather than sketching it out.  Must try to do better!