Cable management, commercial roof tops

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkzz

Reaction score
Hi,

Would be interested to know how folks carrying out commercial jobs manage cables on roofs. Are there specific cable management systems out there, or is most of the CM done using tray/trunking? And if done by tray/trunking, how is it secured to the roof without diminishing water proofing?

Cheers for the replies. Some good ideas. What about trapezoidal roof profile? Hanger bolts, unistrut and tray? Or is there some thing made for the job.

Cheers for the replies. Some good ideas. What about trapezoidal roof profile? Hanger bolts, unistrut and tray? Or is there some thing made for the job.
Yes, Bigfoot feet , see post #2
And I've probably been involved in some jobs that would surprise you in size.
Are you talking about containment on the roof, or hanging from the roof,?

Yes, Bigfoot feet , see post #2
And I've probably been involved in some jobs that would surprise you in size.
Are you talking about containment on the roof, or hanging from the roof,?
Containment on the roof (external) I've come across quite a few jobs where the cables are just hanging all over the place. Looks messy and probably not too great for the cables either.

Hi,

Would be interested to know how folks carrying out commercial jobs manage cables on roofs. Are there specific cable management systems out there, or is most of the CM done using tray/trunking? And if done by tray/trunking, how is it secured to the roof without diminishing water proofing?
Cable tray/trunking is normal. There are a number of proprietary support systems for this using big feet that spread the load over the roof membrane and lift the trunking off the roof to allow free flow of water underneath. I would suggest putting a 300 x 300 conc. slab under the feet if resting on a soft membrane, like asphalte or felt. If it is a new roof, talk to the roofing contractor.
George Lisle (RIBA)