Cable Size

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what model are the panels? we need the voltage and amperage output from the panels to be able to work out how they have been connected to drive the inverter,they may well have been configured incorrectly,

do you have a schematic,?

what paperwork and/or certificates has he provided you with?

you should have a complete pack of stuff, although this may only amount to a dozen or so pages,

there should deffo be a schematic of your install at your CU/fusebox/incoming supply point at the very least, you should also have a installation certificate.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:23 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:22 ----------

oh dear,

where has he put the generation meter etc at for the solar PV ?
panels stp 250s-20/wd Array parameters 37.3v 8.63a I have pv commissioning sheet, NAPIT electrical certificate SSEG commissioning confirmation sheet,it goes solar pv, inverter , generation meter ,CU (in barn ) 130m cable ,farm shop ,20m cable, CU at house

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:01 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:58 ----------

All so got MCS installer Certificate

ok, so is the 20m run from the house CU to the farm shop also 2x6mm cable?

then a further 2x6mm cable for the other 130m to the barn?

its deffo looking like a very poor install TBH.

PV should not share a circuit with anything else, MCS requirement for volt drop is 1%, with the system having a max loading of 16A that would still be at very least a 25mm cable over your 150m(and thats a very rough guess without getting any books out).
Is, PV should not share a circuit with anything else, a MCS or REAL,specification

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:21 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:10 ----------

ok, so is the 20m run from the house CU to the farm shop also 2x6mm cable?then a further 2x6mm cable for the other 130m to the barn?

its deffo looking like a very poor install TBH.
The 20m run from the house CU to the farm shop is 4core 6mm twined to make 2 x12mm , then it goes 130m to the barn also 4core 6mm twined to make 2 x12mm

16 ,250w suntecs SMA 4000tl inverter coupled to my original 150m,12mm armour cable, he wants to come on tuesday ,what can I say about the cable---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:18 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:14 ----------

Yes,a farm shop,2 fridges, lights, till etc
Not sure what you mean by your armoured cable was this cable already in before the pv system was installed?

OK taking your Invertor AC output being 16 Amps max 6mm SWA volt drop @ 0.0073 V/A/m half that as the cores are doubled up = 0.00365 V/A/m

Then 130 mtrs from invertor to Generation Meter = 7.592 Volt drop. Maximum is 1% of 230 Volts = 2.34 Volts. SO IT DOES NOT COMPLY

Last edited by a moderator:
OK taking your Invertor AC output being 16 Amps max 6mm SWA volt drop @ 0.0073 V/A/m half that as the cores are doubled up = 0.00365 V/A/m Then 130 mtrs from invertor to Generation Meter = 7.592 Volt drop. Maximum is 1% of 230 Volts = 2.34 Volts. SO IT DOES NOT COMPLY
What should I do?

it needs a bigger cable,

your 'installer' should never have used a cable of that size, it doesnt comply with the regulations,

on your installation certificate there is a box for deviations from the current regs, is it filled in?

do you have a copy of the regs? or an OSG(maybe)?

needs a waaaaaay bigger cable, looks like someone is going to have to put there hand in their pocket,

NAPIT and REAL will have a field day by the sounds of it.

put in a larger cable...
I think the issue is who is going to pay for the bigger cable?

Was your Solar PV done on a fixed price by a company?

If so, YOUR contract was with that company.

Did they do a site survey before giving the quote? If so they will have known the relative locations of the panels, inverter and CU.

It was then up to the company you contracted, to fit the system to comply with the regulations. They clearly did not do that.

Perhaps the electrician saw a chance to save money? but it backfired.

So go back to the company you contracted to do the install to get them to put it right. you now have the opinion of this forum that the cable size is too small and they should have installed a larger cable, rather than trying to cut corners and use what was there. So tell them that is what is required and that is what you demand.

Whether they choose to send the same electrician back is not your problem. you shouldn't be talking to the electrician directly, your contract was not with him. the Solar PV company might well choose to send a different electrician to sort it out.

A bigger cost to them will be excavating a 120 (or 150) metre trench to bury the new cable.

Best of luck.

I am confused as too who actually installed the cable and designed the circuit as it has been said the cable was already there.

doesnt matter to a certain extent batty,

the installer shouldnt have used it as he is/was unable to get his installation to comply with the relevant regs by using it.

I would agree with that steps how many times have you had people install a piece of 1.5/2.5 armoured cable for a supply to a garage or shed then expect it to run a workshop or the like. Problem is some people think they know better than a tradesmen. I am just interested as why the cable was already there.

Sounds like it was an existing Farm installation, House, Barn, Shop, PV has been installed at furthest point and hooked into existing circuit.

Where abouts are you in the country ?Someone who is good at PV on here may offer to pop by for half an hour for a survey, do some calcs and a report and give you this as ammunition (possibly for a small fee)?!
Sounds like a good idear ,hale way between Southport & Liverpool

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:32 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:31 ----------

Sounds like a good idea ,half way between Southport & Liverpool

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:33 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:32 ----------

Sounds like it was an existing Farm installation, House, Barn, Shop, PV has been installed at furthest point and hooked into existing circuit.
Spot ON

not a million miles from me,

if no-one else is closer,

I do work from Widnes right up to Preston and beyond,

do some work in Ormskirk.

been known to work in London village and the Lakes or across to Geordieland and even in Andy's back yard,

done a job in Lytham not so long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.