Cables in cavities

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening All

What are your thoughts on having cables running in cavity walls a practice used in 1950's and 1960's. Is there anything in regs that says you can't on rewires.

Batty

Evening AllWhat are your thoughts on having cables running in cavity walls a practice used in 1950's and 1960's. Is there anything in regs that says you can't on rewires.

Batty
never really thought about it.... **removed**

EDIT: for some reason i was thinking of something else...

hello there

there is a long list of requirements that need to be met so that cables can be run in cavitites correctly, such as not bridging the cavitiy, not touching polystrene based insulation etc, etc

Thankfully i believe meter tails are exempt from most of this.

When I sub contracted a few years back we did some new houses it was a big no no to put cables in cavities but you would not because of insulation in walls. I would put tails from meter in service duct up cavity as this is probably safest place for them I think unless consumer unit is in garage and then you probably would put them in trunking in inner wall.

Batty

having re-read thread.... the most i ever have a cable in a cavity would be passing through.

but i have seen a lot in recent years where NEDL have re-newed cable from where overhead meets wall to new meter cupboard, and have mostly used the cavity for the cable

AFAIK there is no direct regulations saying you cant....

But NICEIC info suggests it is difficult for installer to ensure compliance on all of the following areas inside a cavity wot you cant see into!

522.8.1: Damage to cables during installation

Obstructions in cavity e.g. metal wall ties, mortar projections, create a risk of unseen damage.

522.8.4: Strain on cables lacking support.

Long unsupported vertical drops may put strain on conductors.

522.5.3: Materials liable to cause mutual or individual deterioration.

Expanded polystyrene sheets, granules or foam used in buildings for insulation if comes into contact with thermoplastic (pvc) cable sheathing, plasticiser can migrate from the thermoplastic to the polystyrene.

523.7: Cables in thermal insulationThermal insulation installed in cavity walls during or after construction, the cable current-carrying capacity is to be taken as half the

or short answer...

tis frowned upon....

but who knows its there unless you are doing further work? ]:) ; \Guiness DrinkGuiness Drink

personally I wouldn't:D

Cheers Specs

I have a rewire to do customer doesn't want to redecorate and as a lot of cables run down cavities I think we may need to have a rethink.

Batty

Cheers SpecsI have a rewire to do customer doesn't want to redecorate and as a lot of cables run down cavities I think we may need to have a rethink.

Batty
Learn wallpapering as well... do it quick before customer see's you have chased the plaster off!!!!!! :^O :^O:^O:^O:^O

If you do run them in the cavity then you would have deviated from the regulations (as Special Location pointed out) and should note on the certificate with reasons.

Or

If life is so short, just do it and cross your fingers that all will be ok!

We used to wire showers like that. chop a brick out in the loft and half a brick by the CU. Drop a string line with a rawlbolt on the end , down the cavity , hook it out and tied the 6mm T/E on. Bound to be regs against it but this was before cavity foam filling was being done.

We used to wire showers like that. chop a brick out in the loft and half a brick by the CU. Drop a string line with a rawlbolt on the end , down the cavity , hook it out and tied the 6mm T/E on. Bound to be regs against it but this was before cavity foam filling was being done.
ah.. posh houses!

our house never had cavity walls!!! :|

just two bricks back to back!!!

try stuffin a rawlbolt down that Blushing:O

fortunately following building extensions, what was a main external gable end wall...

is now an internal wall! :D

and new gable wall with a cavity and insulation! :)

problem is, thats what the plumber did with his waste as well..

just chop a brick out.. and pour the pipe into the cavity! ]:) :^O :^O:^O:^O:^O

I would like to know how you guys get on with dwarf walls in conservatorys.

Specially if they are face brick work inside as well as out so you cannot chase.

I cannot see any alternative but to use the cavity.

Your thoughts gentlemen please. ?:|

I would like to know how you guys get on with dwarf walls in conservatorys.Specially if they are face brick work inside as well as out so you cannot chase.

I cannot see any alternative but to use the cavity.

Your thoughts gentlemen please. ?:|
Not an easy one. I did one a few years back. Brickie was onsite so I put cables in conduit in cavity as he built wall very time consuming though.

Batty

I guess if it's being built, then putting 20mm conduit in the cavity wouln't be too hard a job, but we are usually an afterthought and not called in until after the thing has been finished. In that case I you just need to ask what colour of mini trunking they like best!

Started a job on friday, started wiring a new build and this question was put to me about putting a shaver socket into a wet room it will positioned roughly 12 inchs from the window frame.

Builder says can we put the cable into the cavity just incase they put a curtain rail up it avoids drilling the cable.

My reply was it will be in the prescribed zone with it being a straight vertical drop inline with the shaver socket.

He said well they dont know that do they.

What should i say to him or how should i install it?

:)