Cables in cavities

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it was 12'' from window frame I would not think their is much chance of a curtain rail fixing hitting a cable at that distance.

Batty

If it was 12'' from window frame I would not think their is much chance of a curtain rail fixing hitting a cable at that distance.Batty
Yeah just a rough gestimate its no more than 12".

Yeah just a rough gestimate its no more than 12".
I would not put cable down cavity on new build. If it is likely to get drilled into I would chop cable into wall at least 50mm where fixing is likely to be.

Batty

I would chop cable into wall at least 50mm where fixing is likely to be.Batty
Yeah good point batty might do that one.

If i find a fault on the shaver socket i know where to look straight upto the top of the window where there could be a brand spanking new curtain rail. :^O

Started a job on friday, started wiring a new build and this question was put to me about putting a shaver socket into a wet room it will positioned roughly 12 inchs from the window frame.Builder says can we put the cable into the cavity just incase they put a curtain rail up it avoids drilling the cable.

My reply was it will be in the prescribed zone with it being a straight vertical drop inline with the shaver socket.

He said well they dont know that do they.

erm???? THEY DO if you tell them!!

What should i say to him or how should i install it?

:)
Ask him to confirm:-

1/ exactly what type of insulating materials are to be built into the wall structure.

2/ if any of the said materials have any adverse effect on the PVC platisicer re 522.5.3.

or

3/ Ask him to install suitably sized flexible duct channel or similar, with a fish wire, to be installed in the cavity to ensure no mechanical damage to the cable & no chance of your cable bridging the cavity gap allowing penetration of damp between the leaves of the wall.... blah .. blah.... blah

then tell him to stop winging and buy a 15quid cable & pipe detector before he drills holes.

and YOU will be installing in accordance with current wiring regs, not his DIYbob methods!

and...

Leave the customer with a sketch showing direction & rough dimension of your cable run on the wall so they can avoid the cable if drilling later..

Or

you are more than happy to go back for 1 hours payment to mark a suitable drill hole position for them!! :D :)

you are more than happy to go back for 1 hours payment to mark a suitable drill hole position for them!! :D :)
Or 2 hours special, have a brew then it might be time for a break afterwards.