Can earth Rod be retained after TT to TN-C-S conversion?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes Chris, you are correct, however, it is not necessary that the rebar is accessible, so thus it may not be able to be "bonded".

Also, the rebar is suitable for use as an earth electrode, thus the complication!

The Normal and correct method of incorporating a S/Pool installations grounding/earthing is to connect a ground rod at diagonally apposed corners connected to the S/Pool re-bar, hence giving you a point of connection to the main installation (as well as the S/Pool electrical installation) earthing point. You could i suppose negate the rods and just bring out the earthing tails into a flush test point. Either way would be fine and conform to what it seems the Regs call for...

This is Standard practice in virtually every country i've worked in and is certainly the standard in USA, which goes OTT where S/Pools are concerned.

Well, this should be done in during erection, using the swimming pool as a electrode for me is a bad idea, why would you want to export fault current to a swimming pool?

If the pool is served by selv only, and you bond the pool to the met again you will be exporting fault current. Now if a equipotential plane has not been achieved then problems may arise.

Like I said complicated!!!

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 21:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:04 ----------

Oh, also that you 2 would not agrree! ;)

SideWinder,

1/ Not really...

2/ Yep, i guess plumber knows better than all those countries Swimming pool regulations. Who am i to disagree with him!!! Just wondering what he thinks will happen when he bonds anything to a swimming pool, ....All of his worst fears will then be present!!!

Larnacaman,

We are NOT discussing ANY countries here EXCEPT the UK.

I don't care what Outer Mongolia do to their swimming pools at this moment in time.

IF I have to work there or ship some of my work there then I will care.

Until then the focus of our comments and discussions on this forum are restriced to UK legislation, sorry bud, I still don't see any confirmation of your comments supported by UK law or UK legislation or UK guidance.

Until then, I'm sorry your comments will remain irrelevant.

Once you can prove your comments relevance to the UK "situation" then we will all take note and I, as I have said, will issue a public appology to you.

Larnacman

2/ Yep, i guess plumber knows better than all those countries Swimming pool regulations. Who am i to disagree with him!!! Just wondering what he thinks will happen when he bonds anything to a swimming pool, ....All of his worst fears will then be present!!!
Well from what i can see its more a case of Larnacamans rules and regulations, i think it is you who thinks he knows best

I think i know exactly what i'm talking about SideWinder. If your Regs call for bonding, even supplementary bonding, then you'll be connecting to that Mass of steelwork ...Right??

As i've stated, all accessories like pool ladders, D/boards etc all come with a substantial bonding point(s). Those accessories are literary fixed to the top of the pool walls, so in essence should be connected to the pool re-bar system.

Look, I have my own pool, and I've had scores of S/Pool installations over several pojects, so i don't need any lessons in pool/spa installations...