T-NS or TN-C-S service head ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not familiar with the Series 8 service head but many will need the right side fuse carrier removing to remove the cover. In any case below that cover you will either have a CNE terminal or separate neutral and earth terminals, in both cases the CNE and neutral terminals will be deemed live parts it is not for us to interfere with them.

if its TNCS then the neutral / earth terminal is not deemed 'live parts'

and often the service head has a knockout on the neutral / earth block to allow a driver to fit into the terminals

if its TNCS then the neutral / earth terminal is not deemed 'live parts'

and often the service head has a knockout on the neutral / earth block to allow a driver to fit into the terminals
My error I was thinking along the line of a separate neutral and earth terminal where the neutral is deemed a live part. We have no idea what is below the cover it may well be separate terminals it could be either for an SNE supply and as I have previously stated the OP is a trainee and we should not be suggesting he dabble around to find out.

if its seperate terminals then yes, the neutral would be deemed a live part, and in this case, as the service head is marked TNS then id expect seperate terminals. id be tempted to look under the black bit on the front - looks like some kind of removeable cover / blank to the earth terminal screws

I recognise your acknowledgment of the OP being a trainee however credit where credit is due, Traineeboy appears to be one of those who are prepared to listen and learn and I would go as far as to say wouldn’t be touching something that he is not comfortable/familiar with. 

We have no idea what is below the cover 

You mean YOU have no idea what is below the ocver, some of us have encountered these before

It will have a terminal block with either a link to N or Earth. The cover is designed to be easily removable to access the terminal block, as I said before, if it was dangerous it would be sealed. 

. The cover is designed to be easily removable to access the terminal block, as I said before, if it was dangerous it would be sealed. 

on many of them, to remove the neutral cover you need to remove the fuse first which would normally be sealed. to access the terminals to connect the earth its often a knockout though which is designed to be easily accessibl

You mean YOU have no idea what is below the ocver, some of us have encountered these before

It will have a terminal block with either a link to N or Earth. The cover is designed to be easily removable to access the terminal block, as I said before, if it was dangerous it would be sealed. 
It is either one or the other a combined or separate terminals, we do not know which and as previously stated I have limited experience of Series 8 heads but on many similar heads a fuse carrier must be removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is either one or the other a combined or separate terminals, we do not know which and as previously stated I have limited experience of Series 8 heads but on many similar heads a fuse carrier must be removed.
but we aren't talking about other heads, we are talking about this one. 

don't spend all your life being a dick! 
Thanks for that is that how Gold Members treat newish members on here.

"The UKs friendliest electrical forum"

It is TN-S, SN/E means Separate Neutral/Earth supplied through a split concentric cable there is no PEN.

Ah, but is SNE at the service position actually TN-S, given there will be a PEN in the system further back?