Can I be a self-employed apprentice?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do what I did offer to work for free for a set time as it gives them a no obligation to take you on or pay you and the good thing is you get to find out what there like and them you. Then if things go well tell them to take you on as a mate.

The terminology is the prob,

under taxation rules kit is very unlikely that an apprentice could be self employed(SE)

The law has evoled some quite stringent tests to show ether someone is employed(E)or not, usually Inland revenue cases, where HMRC chase SE people who should be E but have purported to be SE.

a lot of the case law has come from cases involving the .....Financiall Services and Employment tribunals

In the Finacial Services cases, people wouls 'leave' their job with say 'Sun Life@and then re engage doing the same job with the same firm but as an independant, with all the advantages of being SE (There are cons - but that is not the subject here)

HMRC said 'ballcocks' youcant just elect to work like that, the Court tends to agree and the tests have evolved from the early 18th sentry 'Master/Servant' test , to quite in depth analysis

Basic tests now applied include, inter alia

Does anyone tell you where, how and when to do your work (Original Master/Servant test)

Do you work exclusively for one person (majority of your work)

Supply tools and materials transport etc

Hoilday pay

Sick pay

are you responsible if it all goes belly up

do you get the lions share of profit

Annual leave

etc

There are at least ten if not more headings that a court would consider. You cannot just elect to be SE, you have to be able to demonstrate that you are.

An apprentice by definition would almost certainly be employed.

Now an electricians mate could be SE, but again the same tests apply. you could go this route, qualify through time and experience etc

a bit of a waffle, but the law often is

Thank you SteveT :)

I've enroled at college today! Went up there, paid a painful sum of money, got a student ID with a hideous photo of me on it, did an English and a Maths test and I'm now officially a student. Starting Tuesday - I can't wait! :) Unsurprising I am the only girl (fine) in a class of mainly 16 year old boys (OMG help! :) ).

Latest posts