Can I be an apprentice again???

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok here's my situation. I've been working as an electrician for nearly 5 years for a company with only the 16th edition qual. Year before last I decided it was time to get qualified (with the support of my employer) and so got myself signed up for 2330 lv2. Fund were tight and I managed to get the course for free as I recieve tax credits, anyway I completed that with flying colours. Progressing on, I enrolled for lv3 last year, again funds tight and the lv3 is not reduced/free for tax credit receivers. Employer would pay and college pulled through for me introducing me to the apprenticship. I found it strange as I was (am) 28 and thought they stopped at 24 but they said thats all stopped. Anyway, started sept and was doing well but in dec we ended up working a fair way from home an although we travelled each day, I was getting home too late to attend college (i must add, i was attending on evenings as employer wouldn't give me day release). So, I missed 10 sessions in a row and ended up getting thrown off the course with no fault of mine.

My big question is, will I be able to get back on the apprentiship again to restart my lv3. Or is it once your booted, your off for good. If the latter is true, i'll be gutted as I cant afford it and with the quals changing from 2330 next year, this is my last chance. If not done this year, i'll be back to square 1 and probably wont start over. Will end up in another career.

Thanks for any info...

I suppose you could plead your case RE: your employer, who was clearly being unreasonable. But I don't know how easy it will be for you to get on the course.

Well, after many phone calls............ they (college) dont know. lol.

I spoke to 1 guy, he says I need to speak to the guy who runs 2330 lv3 course, its his course so its his decision. I say, is he there then........... no, he is on holiday, ring back next week.

next week -

Speak to lv3 course leader, he says its ok with him (after I pleaded a bit), but I need to speak to his boss, its his final word. I say, Is he there then.............no, he is on holiday. Ring back after bank holiday. But while your on the phone, your NVQ assessor wants a word

Me: eh? what assessor, thought I was kicked off the course.

Him: errrrrrrrr, well. you was kicked off lv3, not apprentiship.

Me: ok stick him on.

We had a chat and arranged him to come see me. Turns out I should have been givin my portfolio in January but no body told me. Also, he should have been coming to see me since then too yet this is the first time i've spoken to him.

Anyways, at mo I now have my portfolio and need to get caught up. No one knows if I can get back lv3 and all are saying apprentiship is no good with it. Crackers if you ask me.

Give 'em a ring next tuesday I guess.

Left arm right arm ?

Just shows how you can get lost and forgotten in an incompetant system, with each not knowing what the other is doing.

Keep us updated when you can.

Is it really that bad down south?

Up here SECTT manage ALL SJIB apprenticeship training and there is ONE training officer per area.

The training officer knows EVERY apprentice personally and speaks at every SELECT (ECA of Scotland) branch meeting to give a report on the training.

He also has details of any reduntant apprentices and an employer can liase with him if he /she can take one on

The training officer pops in to the college and SECTT organise the training and pay the colleges

I forgot to add - SECTT get the same budget per apprentice as the other parts of the UK, but manage to squeeze an inspection and testing week in to the third year (in addition to the inspection and testing in the SVQ apprenticeship)

I'd go to the enrolment days and just make a fuss until they accept you on the course. If it was like my college, they will give in eventually as long as you promise to be a good boy and bring teacher an apple every week.

I haven't got a clue............... :(

but Deke says you can borrow the red stockings and suspender belt if its any help....

:x

As long as you return them by 14th Sept... (Cuz I will be borrowing them!)

:Blushing

:coat

:slap

Well, after much fussing and a load of phone calls, it looks like i'm on. Got to go in on monday 10 - 2 to fill in a new enrolment form. Must be some form if it takes 4 hours. lol.

Update: it's all gone bits up. Everybody said I was OK to go back on course, Went monday to enrol as mentioned above (they said I had to re-enrol has I'd been wiped off the system). Upon filling in the forms your asked what is highest previous qualification you have? I have an HNC in computing which comes in at level 4 in the education system. Told them same last year. After a pause woman says "......Ah, we maybe have a problem". Why I ask. Well it's like this, last year you could get funded on an apprentiship so long as you didn't have a full degree. New government has changes the guidelines and now its Level 4 quals and above. She said fill forms in and i'll have a look into it. Well she phoned today to say they cant fund it. So, if I want to go on it I will have to pay. Short answer to that is I cant afford it........GAME OVER!!!! GUTTED.

Thats a right shame! I hope you can get into a course somewhere. Try other colleges around your area.

Thats a right shame! I hope you can get into a course somewhere. Try other colleges around your area.
This is the only college near me that does it on evenings. Cant get day release from work. The college is >20 miles. There is a college <1 miles from my house but its day release only. Looks like I'm ********. Can't afford it this year and next I will have to start again as qualification changes this year. That will be a right kick in balls. Thinking of saving up and just doing domestic installer sometime next year. Think thats going to be me dead end then.

Sorry to hear about your problem

Things are quiet for a lot of us- I am ticking over and keeping my head above water, due to repeat business, word of mouth and more advertising

I get a lot of calls from people looking for work or training, but I have an apprentice lined up and he is out part time until things pick up. Then he will go full time

Cheers

Stewart

It's so strange.

When i go to electrician job websites, they are filled with electrician jobs.

On the internet they say there's shortage of electricians in UK.

I don't know what to believe anymore D:

It's so strange.When i go to electrician job websites, they are filled with electrician jobs.

On the internet they say there's shortage of electricians in UK.

I don't know what to believe anymore D:
Mostly advertising material from training organisaations trying to sell you their product. Unfortunately there are a lot of people offering courses for a fictitious number of vacancies. With the current cut-backs there are going to be even less vacancies, but the training companies still like to over-hype their products. Real vacancies normally want experience as well as qualifications.

Doc H.

Ok, just to drag this up from the past. One of the young apprentices had a word with his jtl assessor t'other week and explained my situation. He said, there may be a way to become 'qualified'. BUT, I would never be able to be an 'approved electrician' only ever have an 'Electrician' JIB card. Cant figure that bit out, but to be honest it would suit me fine. I would have to go to college once for half a day and then rest would be onsite assessments. Sounds strange to me. He asked for a copy of my current quals before end of march and let him look into it. I obliged and not heard owt yet.

Anybody any idea what this might be???? I'm stumped.