Can you complete an EIC without been registered

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt1987

Reaction score
Can you provide an EIC to a customer after work has been completed without been registered with say 'ELECSA or NIC' ????

Yes you can

All electricians must supply certification in order to comply with BS 7671.

Registration is only required to enable self certification for Part P building regs

Not being registered does not stop you from filling out any electrical certificate or report, where you will become unstuck is that you will have to notify any domestic Part P notifyable jobs through the LABC and pY the appropriate fee.

Sometimes you will also not be able to do certain jobs or work for certain clients due to their contractual or insurance requirements.

To clarify the situation further, if necessary:

Joe bloggs the householder could, if he were so inclined, buy or make his own generic form, and fill it in - as can anyone.

The big sticking point is that you are signing the form to say it complies with BS7671 ( so a working knowledge of the standard would be a basic requirement) ; plus the I&T signatory needs to be "competent". If you search previous topics, there have been discussions of "competency", and the definitions from 7671 (and EAWR, iirc).

HTH

KME

Yes you can,

A qualified electrician can fill out and certify generic forms from BS 7671. As already said if its part P work it is notifiable.

Can you provide an EIC to a customer after work has been completed without been registered with say 'ELECSA or NIC' ????
An analogy may be:-

Can you teach someone to drive without being a member of 'AA'. 'RAC', 'BSM', etc. etc.. etc..

Being a member of a recognised body can be a help.

BUT

IT IS NOT compulsory...

:Salute

Yes you can,A qualified electrician can fill out and certify generic forms from BS 7671. As already said if its part P work it is notifiable.
If any one can be eligible then I'm also interested to clear the exam.

You personal fabricated number. It's your date of birth, pin number and last 3 digits of your mobile phone number. ;)

or leave it blank.....

(you shouldn't be using the NICEIC member forms anyway)

You personal fabricated number. It's your date of birth, pin number and last 3 digits of your mobile phone number. ;) or leave it blank.....

(you shouldn't be using the NICEIC member forms anyway)
Niceic do forms for unregistered electricians think they are a different colour. Any form you do needs a means of identifying it so some form of numbering system. Personally i don't use Niceic forms because they have more information on them that is in the model forms and I hate papework so less of it the better.

what do you put in the nic number area though?
NIC number????????????

the question was can anyone complete an 'EIC' (not cany anyone use 'NIC' forms! :C )

The only forms with NIC numbers on them are the ones issued to NIC contractors..

So an NIC contractor would have their enrollment number in the one box..

and the NIC serial numbers in the other box..

People who are not NIC registered will NOT be using NIC model forms ...

unless they have acquired some black market NIC logoed forms

from some disreputable spark flogging on e-bay!! :(

The non-logoed form do NOT have a premarked area for either registration number or serial number...

But if any person wants to put any suitable numbering scheme that takes their fancy on any part of a form based on the models in BS7671 then that is entirely up to them what they put and where they want to put it!

simples! :D

You HAVE TO test and issue a cert. The relevant cert for the work that has been done. Read the OSG or BRB it isn't optional.

Why do people seem to think that issuing a cert is somehow tied up with part p??? Testing and certifying has been in the regs long before part p was ever schemed up.

You HAVE TO test and issue a cert. The relevant cert for the work that has been done. Read the OSG or BRB it isn't optional.Why do people seem to think that issuing a cert is somehow tied up with part p??? Testing and certifying has been in the regs long before part p was ever schemed up.
Indeed .. :|

I'm fed up with stating that fact!!!

It looks like colleges nowadays teach the young-uns that certs are only needed if part p involved!!!headbangheadbang

Niceic do forms for unregistered electricians think they are a different colour. Any form you do needs a means of identifying it so some form of numbering system. Personally i don't use Niceic forms because they have more information on them that is in the model forms and I hate papework so less of it the better.
green certs avalible to all

purple certs are for registered DI

red certs for registered AC

What's to stop somebody modifying or adding to an existing installation and then just issuing a PIR instead of an EIC.

Surely they both carry the same weight when it comes to verifying the safety of the system.

No Chri5 they do not.

An EIC is a CERTIFICATE.

A PIR is a REPORT.

Big difference.

With the first you are certifying the safety of the works.

The second is only a report on the condition of the installation.

However, there is nothing stopping anyone modifying the installation and not issuing ANY paperwork what so ever.

The legal difference between the two is also important for people in my situation:

EIC - The work is covered by my "Public liability insurance".

PIR - Professional opinion about the safe continued use the electrical system, requiring "Professional Indemnity Insurance". Which I don't currently hold.

PeatBog,

I wholeheartedly agree, though some of our members do not.

IMHO you should not be doing PIR's without PI insurance.

One other thing for those who do hold PI as they consider it a requirement, then once you hold it you must keep it in force or do a tail off policy as if you did work 5 years ago and there was an issue today it is the PI in force today upon which the claim would be made.

It is a statutory requirement form many professions to hold PI where there is an intangible product, i.e. professional advice and opinion is given.