Can't Make It Up.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would it not be strange if it was found that the CUs caught fire due to incompetence of the installer or by the Manuf producing shite?.....that would never happen thought as we are so well policed!
this is the long term result of 'self policing' a favourite of Thatcher - why spend public money on staff to check stuff when we can trust private profit making corporations to comply with standards..

Having left a 20 year career in industry becuse of losing my job to the Chinese once too often, my biggest gripe wasn't competition, but the unfair competetion of non-compliance with many standards. Why was/is Chinese product so cheap - because much of it it doesn't fully comply with EU standards.

I remember the French inspecting every Japanese VCR being imported to France, actually opening evey box and crearing a somewhat large back-log :innocent :innocent :innocent

should be compulsory to meet EU enviro standards, employment standards, H & S etc etc, would be interesting to see if they are vaguley competitve then!

Last edited by a moderator:
the best one I've seen was a forklift lifting another forklift lifting a heavy machine onto a platform...

http://liftright.net/dangerous-forklift.jpg

When Nortel 'outsourced' to China a colleague went to Shenzen to oversee installation of one of the production lines, the Chinese engineer he was working with lent on a steel worktable and was killed by an electric shock - my colleague wasn't keen to return a 2nd time

the best one I've seen was a forklift lifting another forklift lifting a heavy machine onto a platform...

http://liftright.net/dangerous-forklift.jpg

When Nortel 'outsourced' to China a colleague went to Shenzen to oversee installation of one of the production lines, the Chinese engineer he was working with lent on a steel worktable and was killed by an electric shock - my colleague wasn't keen to return a 2nd time
Yes, i can see that causing some concerns.

I have had a word with Emma and she would be only too willing ( and NOT for the first time...) to go over there on a fact finding mission for a couple of months...all paid for by the 'charity'

Fat Tony will also go and do a "techntalk" there

The Chinese thing puzzles me. One of the companies I worked for making machinery, China, and other places in that neck of the woods was a problem.  People there would deliberately try and chop a finger off with our machines knowing they would then get more compensation that they could ever earn. So we had to take into account deliberate attempts at causing an accident, not just accidental ones.

PD, deliberate or foreseeable misuse must be considered in the design risk assessments for any machinery as it is required by the machinery directive.

PD, deliberate or foreseeable misuse must be considered in the design risk assessments for any machinery as it is required by the machinery directive.
Yes I know. but as Binky says, there are more of them trying to find ways to defeat the safety features than there were of us trying to make it safe.

I was contrasting it with the guys sitting at the press who could chop an arm off at will.

I don't think that this would have ever been picked up during a PIR,,, you would never expect a freestanding item like this to become live
I would imagine that it would show up as low IR and put down for further investigation. Fault finding would be priced for. Upon remedial works it would be traced to the cable buried in the floor having gone down (but probably without tracing why unless it was obvious that the railings were fixed near to where the cable is thought to run). Passed back for re-pricing to renew the cable, possibly also if not in conduit requiring making a mess of the floor. The quote would end up in a desk draw never to see the light of day again.