Care To Recommend Me Some Mains Smoke/Heat and Carbon Monoxide Detectors?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russ9898

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I generally work on commercial installations, so have very little dealings in the way of home fire protection as all of the properties I work in have full fire detection and alarm systems installed.

I'm currently however in the process of buying my first house and noticed on the viewings that there were no smoke alarms fitted to the property. As a result I'm planning on installing some mains/linked smokes, heats and carbon monoxide detectors around the property. What brand does everyone recommend? I'm keen to install good quality devices as I dont believe this is an area you can afford to scrimp on.

Id like to have a linked carbon monoxide detector in the boiler cupboard that will trigger all the other smokes around the property should it detect any carbon monoxide. The reason for this being purely that the property has a 20 year old boiler installed.

Thanks in advance,

Russ

There is a previous thread regarding interlinking smoke and CO alarms - iirc they must produce a different warning sound, in order to detect the difference between the two types of hazard.

Unless it is in a soundproof, or hard-to-hear spot, I wouldn`t interlink to the CO, to be honest........

If you DO interlink the CO to the smokies; it may be advisable to fit a "test/hush/locate" switch too, for convenience and safety purposes.

Do remember that, as a new cct, it`ll need an EIC & a BS 5839-6 cert.

KME

Thanks for the replies guys.

Funnily enough ive just been looking at the Aico devices. Looks quite a nice setup for a domestic installation. It LOOKS as though the Aico devices all support the alternate warning tone for CO detection although i need to do a little more research first. Particularly like the Hush/Test switch they produce as well.

As for an EIC...I still find it ridiculous that its so hard for me to issue an EIC on my own property as im NIC registered through my company and not myself individually. That's another issue though lol.

Edit - On further investigation it looks as though the smoke alarms only produce one tone. Id like a CO detector in the lounge anyway so i will probably look at having a CO detector on the landing rather than boiler cupboard and one in the lounge, both interlinked and smokes linked separately.

Last edited by a moderator: