Career advancement

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jammin

Hello all,

I'm just fishing for some advise/ recommendations on how to best further my career.

At the moment I'm the NICEIC approved contractor PDH & QS for a small outfit and hold the following qualifications. C&G 2382,2392,2394 and 2395. 

I would like to gain more qualifications but am wondering what would be the best qualification and position to go for.

I'd be interested to hear what you think, thanks in advance!   

As far as I can remember It took about four months to gain that particular qualification via a home study course, with a couple of written and practical exams in the test centre at the end. I had been actively working as a mate 4 years previous so found it to be relativity easy. 

I also have C&G 2382, 2392, 2394 and 2395 as per the first post. I'm qualified to 17th edition and have Inspect and test. I mentioned the EAL level 2 qualification to elaborate on you're first reply stating I had NOT listed any qualifications.

I am fully qualified for my current position an assessed on regular intervals via the NICEIC area engineer.

I just want some suggestions on the possible path I could take with regard to bettering myself and learning more. I like learning new things.

Hope this answers your question.    

Hi Steptoe, Things are now very different at least for our NIC. You need a min of 17th and inspect and test to even be considered for the initial assessment.

My point is Jammin, you can not advance without now completing a level 3 NVQ/c&g, otherwise you are limited to only domestic environment, however this should have been made clear when you entered into the level 2 qually. So without completing the correct electrical installation course I don't see where you can go? 

Perhaps you should PM our forum sponsor Neil who runs these courses, you will find a link on the bottom of the main forum front page, not on a mobile version. 

Yes but the C&G 2382 is Level 3 (Requirements for electrical installations) 

"This qualification ensures that you are up-to-date with the latest industry regulation on wiring and the safe use and operation of electrical equipment and systems. It covers the 17th edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations, which came into force in June 2008. These regulations are recognised by the British Standards Institute as a British Standard (BS7671). 

If you're a practicing electrician, you must comply with the regulations for electrical work, this qualification is designed to provide  those seeking progression in their career with the opportunity to develop the skills necessary to carry out job roles and responsibilities associated with the Electrotechnical industry

Available to deliver in the following:

England

Wales

Scotland

Northern Ireland"

What are you basing your replies on, are you not aware 2382 qualification is a level 3. 

Am I missing something here? or am I a fraud who should not be in my current role. 

The 2382 is merely compliance with 17th edition of the wiring regulations has nothing to do with your capabilities of installing which the level 3nvq c&g relates too. 

I think if you don't agree then perhaps you should contact a local college or the JIB for confirmation? 

Let me me put it another way, I could read and pass the pilots flying rules but if I haven't completed any training then I ain't no pilot! 

This im afraid is where you're at? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea. I think we are getting off topic here. 

I would however be interested to hear input from others as to there definition of this qualification, for my final exams I have to wire two way lighting circuits, ring mains, radials, main bonding and supplementary conductors and demonstrate SWA glanding and termination. It had practical elements, it was not just a run through on the current regs.

I'm still no closer to my original question and now feel a bit deflated. But thanks for the input anyways.

A quick look on the JIB website and with the qualifications you have you would be graded as an 'Adult Trainee'. IMO and in the opinion of the JIB you are not a fully 'qualified' electrician.  You are QS for the NICEIC as you have the 2394/5. You do not need to be a fully qualified electrician to be a QS. To be frank the QS role is meaningless in electrical terms. All it is really is a proof reader. 

The first thing for career progression is being honest about where you currently are. It may be bitter but that is life sometimes. 

The 2382 is a bolt on qualification.  It is worthless as a stand alone qualification. It is an update course supposed to be taken by already fully qualifed electricians. 

The 2392/2394/2395 are testing and verification qualifications. 

TBH I am flabbergasted that the you have passed these courses with no electrical installation or theory qualifications. I also think it is wrong that these training centres have allowed you to sign up. 

My advice would be to stay put in your current role as you will not be employed in a similar role in another company with your lack of qualifications. Then I would sign up for the 2330 parts 1 & 2 and the 2357 NVQ 3. Then you will be deemed a fully qualified electrician.  This will take anywhere from 2-4 years depending on the work you do. 

Yes but the C&G 2382 is Level 3 (Requirements for electrical installations) 

"This qualification ensures that you are up-to-date with the latest industry regulation on wiring and the safe use and operation of electrical equipment and systems. It covers the 17th edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations, which came into force in June 2008. These regulations are recognised by the British Standards Institute as a British Standard (BS7671). 

If you're a practicing electrician, you must comply with the regulations for electrical work, this qualification is designed to provide  those seeking progression in their career with the opportunity to develop the skills necessary to carry out job roles and responsibilities associated with the Electrotechnical industry

Available to deliver in the following:

England

Wales

Scotland

Northern Ireland"

What are you basing your replies on, are you not aware 2382 qualification is a level 3. 

Am I missing something here? or am I a fraud who should not be in my current role. 

This course means nothing unless you have the underpinning knowledge covered in 2330 and 2357. The 2382 is a two day course. All it covers is the changes brought from the 16th edition. The 2382 does not make you an electrician. 

To answer you last point directly, I do not think you are a fraud but it is a liberty that you are in that role. If you were my QS I would run rings around you all day long.  Quite how the NICEIC have allowed this to happen has carrotted me off TBH. I am guessing here but is the company you work for not primarily an electrical firm?  If it was then someone would have already called you out I am sure. 

Jammin, I'm sorry to say but you have probably paid £5000+ on a promise of £50k return, the reality is you've been conned and if you really want to advance then you'll need to go back and do the qualifications that are required to be recognised as an electrician. Sadly you are not alone there have been and probably will continue to be many people in your position. 

Good luck. :)  

My point is Jammin, you can not advance without now completing a level 3 NVQ/c&g, otherwise you are limited to only domestic environment, however this should have been made clear when you entered into the level 2 qually. So without completing the correct electrical installation course I don't see where you can go? 
 Radishes, I've never done level 3 Not Very qualified, and still more know than the apprentices i have trained and who have been through the whole official apprenticeship. Maybe that's just me, or it could be the NVQ courses are rather basic. Incedentally i passed the old 2391 first time, as for temrinating cables, I learn't my trade in the aerospace industry, electrical work is rough as rats arses by comparison.

Binks I didn't say it was right or that great, and truth is many sparks haven't done the NVQ and are competent, I being one of them and yes I passed the 2391 1st time too. And another truth for you, if you don't have the NVQ it will never matter if you are doing your own work, self employed in the strictest sense, unless you encounter many large establishments that often ask for the gold card, however you want to gain access to a lot of work environments these days and the first thing you are asked for is a gold card, as those that qualified after 1999, would have needed to obtained an NVQ lvl3 to achieve gold card status, hence the introduction of the jib supported mature candidate NVQ lvl3, for those that got the C&g but never knew that a NVQ was required. So to go back to Jammin post, he will need the NVQ lvl3 if he wishes to advance.