cat 5

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayo

Reaction score
we have wired out new offices and also run in cat5 cable to boxes we have installed alongside socket outlets, the owner now wants us to connect these plates and snap in the modules so the rooms are finished. does anyone know which colours we should use as in the paperwork that came with the module there are two to choose from, cheers guys.

excuse my ignorance Rev but why are there two then? and also is there a prefered one to use A or B

Thank you

I think B is the more commonly used terminations, not sure why there are two I think its some old european standards or American I can not remember.

the wiring i've seen

1 orange white

2 solid orange

3 green white

4 solid blue

5 blue white

6 solid green

7brown white

8 solid brown

Never understood why the cross over as they are essentially pin to pin straight through patch leads but that seems to be the accepted standard for rj45

Its historic and IIRC to do with what was originally using the centre 2 pins on the RJ45 (8 way connectors or 8P8C's are not actually rj45's).

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 11:26 ---------- Previous post was made at 11:22 ----------

468A or 468B as long as you do the same both ends it dont matter.
Shouldn't that be 568A & B?

use B

its way more common on anything I have ever seen,

tho sometimes I find the odd one that seems to be the heath robinson configuration that just has any colour in any terminal. :)

Its historic and IIRC to do with what was originally using the centre 2 pins on the RJ45 (8 way connectors or 8P8C's are not actually rj45's).---------- Post Auto-Merged at 11:26 ---------- Previous post was made at 11:22 ----------

Shouldn't that be 568A & B?
Yes - well spotted........

Ian I think you are righ with centre 2 pins

the wiring i've seen 1 orange white

2 solid orange

3 green white

4 solid blue

5 blue white

6 solid green

7brown white

8 solid brown

Never understood why the cross over as they are essentially pin to pin straight through patch leads but that seems to be the accepted standard for rj45
This is the accepted way to make cables, look on the web for pictures on which way to insert in the crimp connectors

As others have said 568B is the norm, pin colour assignments should match the Keystone modules, all have colour coding so quite straight forward, and get a proper punch down tool with built in cutters much easer than those