Cat5 install.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkyrj

Reaction score
Hi i have a job coming up to install 20 floor boxes with 4 network lines to each, so 80 lines to run. There are a few redundant lines already there wired in a cable consisting of 4 cat5 cables bunched together wrapped in cellophane.I have been told by the wholesalers that this is no longer made, which is a pity as this would be a good way to run the cables to the floor boxes. Does anyone know if i can still get this cable anywhere.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi i have a job coming up to install 20 floor boxes with 4 network lines to each, so 80 lines to run. There are a few redundant lines already there wired in a cable consisting of 4 cat5 cables bunched together wrapped in cellophane.I have been told by the wholesalers that this is no longer made, which is a pity as this would be a good way to run the cables to the floor boxes. Does anyone know if i can still get this cable anywhere. Many thanks in advance.
Not come across that before but all I do is get four boxes side by side mark each end up with the cable number, write the same numbers on the box then tape the four ends together and pull away. Then record the run length on the box. (the box will have a little record table u can fill in also cable stamped with meters 0-305)

Thanks for the reply ian .I usually do the same, just thought it would be nice this time seeing as there are 80 lines of about 60 meters long to do it in this way, but seems i may have to forget it.

I dunno if its any good but tlc catalogue has cat 5 cable in back of it which has four pair double intertwinned in one cable. But it might not be exactly right. page 252

no, what i am after is four of these bunched together in a sort of clear wrapping.They have some installed there at the moment, but according to edmunsons they can no longer get it.im sure ive seen it quite recently in one of the trade mags but i cant remember where.

what your after is a one off sort of installation. These could be ordered ready made or made on site. The main problem was to get the design right and the required lengths.

If you did a large job it was often more cost effective to get bundles made up in advance similar to a wiring loop made up for the auto industry. However this caused problems on site because of routing and customer changes in spec etc etc.

So now I buy 350m drums and run them as and where required.

yes im just going to do the job with the normal boxes of cat5e now,as ive persuaded the IT dept to install a patch panel and switch fed by fibre so the run is not so long now, and all on one floor level.Many thanks for the replies.