Ceiling fan

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianiow

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a B&Q "Ontario" Ceiling fan/light to install. It has brown, blue, red (lights), green/yel wiring. Is has a pull cord for the fan and a pull cord for the lamp.

I need to install it into an existing lighting circuit which consists of a ceiling rose with 2x loop cables (brown, blue, green/yel), and a switch cable (brown, blue(brown sleeved), green/yel).

If possible i would like the existing wall switch to operate the lights on the fan, but not turn on the fan at the same time.

Any suggestions how I should wire this beast up?

Cheers,

Ian

If I'm not mistaken...

Connect the blue to the blue in the ceiling rose.

Connect the cpc's green/yellows together.

Connect the Red (lights) to the switch wire (sleeved brown).

Connect the Brown (fan) to the brown common in the rose.

However.. The problem with this is the only means of safe isolation is the MCB/Fuse you have on your consumer unit (the pull cord doesn't really count, as far as the fan is concerned)

:| .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou! Do i understand right? At the choc-blocs on the fan:-

SUPPLY------------ FAN MOTOR

blue

blue---------------------blue

switch(sleeved blue)-----red

switch brown

loop brown--------------brown

loop brown

cpc----------------------cpc

Yes, from the information you have supplied..

this will give you lights at the switch, fan from the pullcord.

(But there should be a diagram with the unit?)

:D

Yes, the diagram said:

switched live---------brown(L)

blue neutral----------blue(N)

switched live---------red (light)

green/yellow---------green/yellow

And then it said supply your own connector block for:

loop-----------------loop

Maybe I was being dense, but I couldnt see how the fan was getting any supply in this set up, so I thought I'd ask the experts :)

Yes, the diagram said:switched live---------brown(L)

blue neutral----------blue(N)

switched live---------red (light)

green/yellow---------green/yellow

And then it said supply your own connector block for:

loop-----------------loop

Maybe I was being dense, but I couldnt see how the fan was getting any supply in this set up, so I thought I'd ask the experts :)
Obviously the fan is now connected directly to the loop and is switched via the pullcord.

That's sounds good to me, barring the little comment regarding isolation, though..

Thankyou, all is becoming clearer now..

As a matter of curiosty, if if the lighting circuit used junction boxes and you had a regular phase-neutral-cpc dangling out of the ceiling. Would I need to link the red and brown at the fan motor?

Thankyou, all is becoming clearer now..As a matter of curiosty, if if the lighting circuit used junction boxes and you had a regular phase-neutral-cpc dangling out of the ceiling. Would I need to link the red and brown at the fan motor?
If you only had the switched live, then you would connect both to this...

:)

If I'm not mistaken...Connect the blue to the blue in the ceiling rose.

Connect the Red (lights) to the switch wire (sleeved blue).

However.. The problem with this is the only means of safe isolation is the MCB/Fuse you have on your consumer unit (the pull cord doesn't really count, as far as the fan is concerned)

Interesting point you've made there Extension. As far as I'm aware, the building regs recomend that 'An extractor fan supplied from a lighting circuit for a bathroom without a window should have its own means of isolation, as otherwise replacement or maintenance of the fan would have to be caried out in the dark'. However, since in this case the fan and light are combined, I'd be interested to read any views on this?

Interesting point you've made there Extension. As far as I'm aware, the building regs recomend that 'An extractor fan supplied from a lighting circuit for a bathroom without a window should have its own means of isolation, as otherwise replacement or maintenance of the fan would have to be caried out in the dark'. However, since in this case the fan and light are combined, I'd be interested to read any views on this?
Were not in the bathroom..

:|

If I'm not mistaken...Connect the blue to the blue in the ceiling rose.

Connect the Red (lights) to the switch wire (sleeved blue).

May be an oversight when typing but switch wire should be sleeved brown, I think you may have done a typo.

first: that applies to bathrooms.

second: that also applies to rooms without a window for natural light!

first: that applies to bathrooms.second: that also applies to rooms without a window for natural light!
Thank you Andy. I understand that my que'ry does not pertain to this particular thread. Sorry to have intruded.

Suppose the situation here is that when installing one of these on an existing circuit you cannot have the facility to switch both fan and light independently without having to compromise in some way. I'm not familiar with these devices but can you not switch the actual light from the fitting as you would the fan? I've come across these in the US where there are 2 pull cords on the fitting - one for the fan and one for the light. Gets over the issue of safe isolation because it can then just be switched as normal. Although I can see the Health & Safety gestapo grumbling that you cannot have the switching for a light in the centre of the room as you may trip over in the dark. Can't win really.