ceiling fans

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

persistant1

Reaction score
Hi everyone was just wondering if ceiling fans the type with 3 lamps affect any of the tests ( continuity or insulation resistance). Doing a job were they want them installed in all the bedrooms and couple of down lights in bathroom.

Any idease welcome

Its just the normal pull cord ones that operate the fan speed and lights sepereately. Will do combined L+N ir test just to be safe

i always do combined L N to E unless i know everything is unpluged/ dissconected

ie when i have installed a new circuit

Ive heard that they do tend to frown upon that unless you can justify why you had to do, it and being to lazy ( not saying that you are) to unplug the tele or remove a few lamps is not a reason. I do know the OSG allows it in certain circumstances but is not very specific

the way I see it is u never know if something is plugged in or a transformer in the celing u have missed I mean its is acceptable and don't know about lazy cus not much more in doing all the test. See what someone with with more experiance post

Ive heard that they do tend to frown upon that unless you can justify why you had to do, it and being to lazy ( not saying that you are) to unplug the tele or remove a few lamps is not a reason. I do know the OSG allows it in certain circumstances but is not very specific
Pulling a load of downlights down would not be good especially if you damage paint work and ceiling when taking them down.

Batty

Ive heard that they do tend to frown upon that (who's this mysterious 'they' who frown?)

unless you can justify why you had to do, it and being to lazy ( not saying that you are) to unplug the tele or remove a few lamps is not a reason.

Justify:-

Following the guidance of IEE guidance Note 3 Inspection and testing is all the justification I need for doing work to a proper approved standard

I do know the OSG allows it in certain circumstances but is not very specific
Not very specific?????? :eek: ? :|

Page 83, 10.3.3 Insulation resistance,

bullet point 'b'

If a circuit includes voltage sensitive devices such as.... blah...blah...etc.. etc...

options 1 or 2 should be used, Disconnection OR L+N to E test.

All very clear IMHO!?

Or for greater depth of reading...

Guidance note 3 page 37,

2.7.7 Insulation Resitance...

Before testing checks bottom of the page...

and following onto page 38..39 & top of 40.

All quite clear again IMHO....

Bottom line...

i) New installations test cables BEFORE you connect up sensitive equipment!

do full L-N, L-E, N-E!

ii) Existing installations if practical to i, if not do L+N - E.

All perfectly proper test methods, no frowning needed, all perfectly reasonable and justifiable to any competent qualified person...

Assuming appropriate test equipment is being used. ;) :)

Guinness

Well put, and if there is a problem regards fumes then that is a gas/vent problem. A ceiling fan would only highlight the inadequacy of said ventilation problem

Latest posts