Ceiling light fitting - attempt by a home DIY fool!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warwick333

Reaction score
Hi All, 

Am a home DIY enthusiast, but a bad one.... Busy finishing up a renovation. The electrician left the wires in the lounge without a fitting because I had not yet bought one.  So, now I have the light fitting I need to fit it, it is a metal fitting, but I am faced with not being sure which wires go where. I took to photos but this post does not allow me to upload them. 

The fitting has three ports - live, neutral and earth. That is the easy bit. 

From the ceiling there are two cords coming out, and this is where I am getting confused. Out of one cord there is a blue wire, a brown wire and a green/yellow wire. Out of the other cord there is a brown wire, a green/yellow wire and then another blue wire, but with a brown "sleeve" on it. 

Now I am not sure which of these wire to attach to the ports on the fitting and what to do with the remaining wires. Any advice greatly appreciated. 

youre lucky... usually its 3 wires and none of them marked... blue with brown sleeve is your switch live, blue is neutral, 2 browns are live, green/yellow are earths. you will need an additional connector for the 2 lives

0ps0n.png
cant be done, you need connector strip for that fitting.

the solid browns together, blues in neutral and brown sleeved blue in the Live

i.stack.imgur.com/0ps0n.png

Last edited by a moderator:
0ps0n.png

i.stack.imgur.com/0ps0n.png
This diagram is the best I have seen and represents what is currently wired, but for some reason still isn't working. What are the odds that anything would be loose in the connection between the leads I see and the two lights on opposite sides of the room.

The electrician left the wires in the lounge without a fitting because I had not yet bought one.  

If the electrician left the wire hanging without a fitting then it is quite probable that it is disconnected somewhere else to prevent any exposed cables accidentally becoming live.

Doc H.

Thanks Canoeboy for setting up for the pics to upload. So these are the two parts. As you can see on the fitting there are three what I call white "connectors", the pack does come with a loose extra one of these connectors giving 4 in total if that helps? 

Really appreciate the answers and help given so far. 

Ceiling wires 1.jpg

Light fitting 1.jpg

Your Blue goes to 'N'eutral.  Your Blue with Brown sleeve goes to 'L'ive. Your two Green/Yellows go into  the middle connection with the earth symbol. your Two Browns can stay in what looks like a painted over dual lever wago connector. Do you have a meter to test if the cables are live or dead before you touch anything?  Make sure the middle terminal on the light fitting is also gripping the small metal tongue that makes the earth connection for the fitting.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to have a revisit of this problem again. Just posting so I can upload an image to confirm my suspicion.