certification of a circuit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solar rads

Reaction score
I recently did a solar install on a large manor house that was undergoing a complete rewire.The electrical installation was at it's first fix stage with a couple of temporary consumer units within the property.

I installed the circuit for the pv inverter but the on site electrician made the final connections into the consumer unit.

In any other situation I would have issued an electrical installation certificate but on that day I was without my test equipment,so the on site electrician said he would cover the circuit in his test forms.

Now the site foreman is kicking up a stink about the situation!

So am I right in thinking that as the on site electrician made the final connections he woul be responsible for the certification of the circuit?

Welcome to the forum, the answer to your question is yes and no.

Never ever lay off your responsibilities to others is my motto, unless a signed agreement is obtained beforehand.

I assume he'd only issue a domestic electrical installation which doesn't come with the option to sign for the design,construction and inspect and test individualy.

I would never usually let myself get in this situation but as the job was an hour and half away from home and I was without my test equipment it was one of the few options I had!lesson learnt me thinks!!

One of the lads had borrowed it the previous day and hadn't returned it,didn't realise this fact till I arrived at the job!not ideal I know!

I never get into my van without my test kit,

anyhow, its irrelevant now,

would there be some issue with him signing off a solar installation and him not being solar PV qualified/competent/accredited? (*delete as appropriate)

We signed off the pv side through our mcs accreditation,this issue was purely

For the ac supply circuit!

yep, I understand that, but it wasnt just a random radial,

it was a purpose designed radial for solar PV which has different design criteria,

we have a discussion on another thread where the wrong cable has been used on the AC side,

to sign off the AC supply you still need to be competent in the design of solar PV circuits, IMHO anyway.

as an aside, there are probably thousands upon thousands of 'dodgy' solar installs in the country that may be pulled soon, I hope anyway.

you have to be carefull as the person responsible for the PV install has to have all installation certs available for commissioning paperwork otherwise it doesnt conform to MCS requirements.