Changing a cu , lights have no cpc

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny7299

Reaction score
Hi all

What's the crack with changing a cu , and the lights having no cpc ,

Are you allowed to ?

Do you have to make sure all fittings are class II ?

And if the property has metal fitting will the customer have have them changed to plastic before cu change ?

In a ideal world we would replace the lighting circuit ... But it ain't ! And customer is being a pig!

Cheers

There's a best practice guide for changing cu with no earth to the lights. It is allowed but you have to sticker cu and use all class 2 fittings . Hth. Will try to findthe esq bpg now for ya

You can change all fitting's to class 2 and lable that cct in the board with appropriate lable (as having no Cpc)

Or it is a re-wire of that cct

It's not permitted by the IEE Wiring Regulations so I'd have to disagree with the ESC's "Best Practise Guide".

This is my take on it,

Offer customer all forms of rectification, class 2 fittings or re-wire, if they don't want to do either then change CU and issue danger notice stating why and that u left the circuit dead. Its then upto the customer if they want to turn on.

That way you still get the job rather than the customer just go for a cowboy with no testing. The customer still has the work done as oposed to leave it how it is which makes it safer for them and you've covered your behind.

It's not permitted by the IEE Wiring Regulations so I'd have to disagree with the ESC's "Best Practise Guide".
Care to back that up with actual regulations?

It's not permitted by the IEE Wiring Regulations.....
I would have to disagree.

In each part of an installation
one
or more protective measures shall be applied, taking account of the conditions of external influence.
The following protective measures generally are permitted:
  1. Automatic Disconnection of supply (Section 411)
  2. Double or reinforced insulation (Section 412)

3. Electrical Separation for the supply to one item of current-using equipment (Section 413)
  4. Extra Low Voltage (SELV and PELV)(Section 414)

So if all accessories are Class II and a warning notice is provided at CU I would say this complies.

Sorry to drag this thread sideways a little, but what solution would be practical to extend a lighting circuit with no cpc. In a bathroom with no cpc to light and customer wants a fan-although it would be a class 2 fitting does the extended circuit need a cpc .length of cable would be 10' max and cable in loft so >50mm. so no rcd. Your thoughts please

Macca:Blushing

I'd say that if its a class 2 inline fan, ie the fan is in the loft, then you'd be ok. But if its wall mounted in the bathroom then it needs rcd protecting!

New work must comply with current regs so you will have to have CPC

Can you spur off the Ring Main fuse down and supply your new work?

If it is not already RCD protected then an RCD spur can solve that.

Thanks for the replies

The problem is there is no cpc available in the loft and to get from the nearest socket

would involve chasing walls in the newly decorated hallwayX(

May just give this one to the plumber as he told them (should be only a couple of hours plus bits).LOL

Macca

Although you can change a CU with no CPC's on lighting circuit, and swap everything for class II, you are still ultimately responsible in the future should something go wrong.

If i do a pre check and find cpc's missing, the client has to either pay for the lighting to be rewired, which all do, or find someone else.

I have been claim free for many years and i plan on keeping it that way!

Tbh I don't really believe this you are responsible for someone elses circuits or install. It would be like a mechanic changing an engine and becoming responsible for the brakes.

I believe you are responsible to act safely and proffesionally within your means! If a customer wants a cu change but no alterations to anything else then you must do your up most to make them aware of the problems and make sure you cover your behind with paperwork!