Changing Damaged CU

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skippy2

Reaction score
Got a job coming up where customer has damaged CU, can't get identical CU and cabling to short to fit in new cu and customer won't pay for rewire.

Whats the best way to extend cabling to comply with regs?

Stagger.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:14 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:11 ----------

Skippy, what exactly do you mean with " cabling too short to fit in " ?

Do you mean they won't reach the various terminals in the new board ? It reads like they won't reach the board at all .!!

Just a quedtion to the crimping fans, do you stager your crimps or jus as you cut thr cable?
Depends on the end result required. If it's just cables inside a cu then I just extend each conductor as necessary. If it's outside any enclosure and a slim joint is required (for looks or burying) then I stagger. If it's just going under a floor or in a loft I just cut it square.

Is it not possible to move the CU slightly higher (or lower or whatever) to make sure that there is enough cable to terminate properly?

The excess could be made up by using slightly longer meter tails, this will be much quicker and you will be able to dress cables into new cu properly.

If you can't move the CU then it is rare that none of the cables will reach, it usually the case of only having to extend a few.