Changing immersion heater

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
will it need draing totally down or just abit ie below the immersion element hole. will opening the taps be enought to drop water level lower then the hole?
NO

because the hot water outlet pipe comes out of the top of the cylinder

and water flows downhill not uphill!

In normal operation its the cold pushing in the bottom that forces the hot out the top!

As has been said:

If you turn off the water & open the taps, you`ll drain the plastic / iron "header" tank, but NONE of the water in the copper cylinder, as the taps are fed from the pipe which pokes out of the top; ergo the taps`ll never empty it.

Attempting to "crack" the seal before removing ANY water is a good idea - the water pressure on the inside of the tank will help to stop it deforming with spannering.

Before you agree to it - look carefully at the immersion / tank. If they look old, and not touched in years, get a water monkey in. I had one last year (thread back there somewhere!), and ended up having to install a brand new tank........customers liked their brand new tank, but didn`t like the bill that went with it - plus I`d allowed 3 hours for a job that took almost 2 days :(

With tanks that have immersion in top generally if you turn off all valves in airing cupboard that should stop flow to tank and then turn on all hot taps cylinder should be then low enough to take immersion out. Have done loads this way. If patch can find kme,s thread this was discussed in great detail. I only ever do immersions as a favour better of getting plumbers to do them as they can go wrong.

Batty

Nah Batty, all that`ll do is take the header pressure off the tank. It CANNOT "empty" ANY of the tank, as the water would have to flow uphill - i.e. against gravity.

But yes, you`re right about the thread. I`ll see if I can scare it up.......AS2

been to do change element today it wouldnt budge and creased slightly. looks like its been there for a very long time! going to get a plumber round in week but is aware that it'll probably be a new tank. thanks for all the advice from everyone.

to andy - i think its a cylinder tank, not 100% sure what a eddison is to be honest.

cheers again to all

wayne

been to do change element today it wouldnt budge and creased slightly. looks like its been there for a very long time! going to get a plumber round in week but is aware that it'll probably be a new tank. thanks for all the advice from everyone.to andy - i think its a cylinder tank, not 100% sure what a eddison is to be honest.

cheers again to all

wayne
a cylinder looks like the description.... a cylinder

an ellison tank is a rectangular open topped (covered) tank with a smaller tank on the side

Wish I'd read this last week... I need a new immersion element in my cylinder and thought I would have a crack at it myself not realising I needed to drain the cylinder first.....

To cut a long story short my cylinder is now leaking into one of pampas finest and the plumber is coming next week. The rest of the airing cupboard is now finally dry and husband has banned me from any plumbing in the future.

Ah well, there's the silver lining!

similar to a story a plumber told me about one of his emergencies....

bloke decides to change leaky rad valve, on the 'out' side. so he turns the 'in' side off and proceeds to take the faulty valve apart.... he though it was OK since he had turned the inlet side off

Why has nobody mentioned this:

Turn OFF the water feed into the tank. The feed in will be at the bottom of the tank, so locate the pipe entering the tank at the bottom and follow it until you find an isolating valve, usually a gate valve in older installations. If no valve then it's a poor install and you will have to tie up the ball c ock in the header tank and drain that as well (which will take a lot longer)

There should be a drain point at the bottom of the tank. Sometimes on the same entry as the feed in, sometimes on a separate port. Attach your hose to that and run the hose straight down out of a door into the garden. Make sure the hose is nice and straight with no kinks otherwise it will drain very slowly or not at all. Open the drain valve and wait.

You don't need to drain the whole tank, just enough to clear the heater.

Remove heater with spanner.

No sealant needed when re fitting, just the big fibre washer supplied with the heater. Make sure you clean all the remnants of the old washer off the flange so it's nice and smooth and clean.

If it weeps and won't seal (damaged flange), I use Hawk Potable water jointing compound.

Don't forget to charge "plumbers rates" for the plumbing bit of the job, as up here plumbers rates are higher than sparky rates.

Don't forget to take some rags to mop up the inevitable spills.

And keep an eye on the water level while the heater is out. I had one where the stop c ock didn't turn off fully and the tank started to slowly re fill. I had to leave the drain valve slightly open all the time I was working to prevent it filling up.