Cisco Switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw " a bargain" on fleabay, and bought one of these:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_data_sheet09186a00800922fe.html

Works fine ( as far as I can tell.....................) EXCEPT

The flaming noise from the fans is horrendous. Are these things known for being loud as hell?

I might have to flog it on to the pub / brewery ( who NEED a switch anyway) ; and buy summat else - ......

Anyone got any ideas on either the fan noise; or a decent, QUIET switch for my office ( I think I need to set up a VLAN on it; )

I don`t NEED 24 ports - a dozen or more would suffice

Not come across that particular model. the page for it doesn't seem to mention noise level dB which usually means it isn't worth mentioning. The fans could be ******** / gunked up / bearings gone etc. Just a little question, why do you think you 'need' a VLan?

Just curious

Yeah, I`ve got one of they, badg. - was full up, and getting very warm.

Barx - In the office, there`re 2 lappies, 2 peecees ( one is just a server), 3 network printers.

There`re 2 lines out to the NAS RAID drive.

2 off the router.

and there`s a line to the AP that hasn`t been installed yet :(

And a powerline link to the lounge, where there`s a 5 port switch supplying SKY box and blu-ray doofer

The plan was to get the NAS "insulated" from t`internet, by putting it on a VLAN, so that MY machine can act as a gateway to the NAS - and I could (hopefully) utilise the TWO ethernet lines from the NAS drive, to up the speed of transfers. At the moment, if I plug both lines into the switch, it seems to see it as a tree-span thing (?) I think thats right...? I`d have called it a loop - causes no end of issues - so I usually have one disconnected altogether

Canoeboy said:
:pmsl:

If offer to look but I think I won't have time due to keep drilling too many holes in roofs :slap

Edit :Wrong holes
Phrase of the day from the paddling one:

"I`m a muppet".

Confidence-inspiring quote of the day:

" What`s these things on this roof? Slate? What`s that?"

:run :coat   :pray   :Out of depth:   :God no:   :Hits the fan:

:slap

Someone has a new respect for copper tingles now ;)

Hi kme, I think you'll find there is no fault with the unit. Cisco switches etc usually are noisy as they are designed to site in a data centre or comms room not on someone's desk. I've got a Dell one which is almost as loud as my Dell server