Class I & Class II equipment

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhamoggy

Reaction score
Is there a list anywhere listing items that fall into different classes and can anyone clearly

define the difference between classes

Regs page 55 & 56. No Class II equipment has exposed conductive parts. Two layers of insulation are provided. As others have said, two concentric squares.

In domestic instalation ALL lighters may be I or II class... Is it? As well in bath rooms...

the point is that class 2 do not need an earth connection and class 1 must have an earth connection.

You can put class 2 lights in bathrooms, but they must be IP rated in

zones. Outside zones some say that they need not be IP rated but others

say they should be.

I would say that all bathroom lights should be IP rated. From other posts

this means that a lot of downlighters are not suitable for bathrooms.

Last edited by a moderator:
why would you say that tech? from a buildoing regs point of veiw?

I would go on the possibility of transmission of damp air into another part of the building, and would suggest that it could be interpreted that this should not be allowed, thus, IP55 or above lighting to keep the moisture within the room.

Thats what I thought but the instructions in JCC downlights say them comply with the passage of moisture reg, im talking about the normal IP20 ones, and they do have a silicon seal around the back of the lamp. So ive never worried about it, I also dont fit other brands so have no idea if others say this or not?

I have seen other posts and had this conversation before

with others; Sidewinder is correct in considering the effects

of damp getting into other spaces through the fitting.

I was surveying houses for loft insulation measures and it

was well known that if laid incorrectly, the loft insulation

would impair proper ventilation of the loft space.

Result; damp rot.

I agree with what you are saying but do all non IP rated fitting let through moisture? As JCC dont seem to think they do as stated in the instructions.

Wozz; good point. By IP20 do you mean IP2X in which case they are

not suitable for special locations as this refers to solid material ingress

only and not ingress protection against damp or water.

I have read other posts on these downlighters and some argue (with some

justification) that they do not deliver sufficient light and are probably

a waste of money (See Pro Dave's remarks).

They are enormously useful in the right context and, with the new LED

lights which can deliver decent light levels at no more than 10 watts

they have to be a goer for stairwell lighting.

Tech you are loosing me, IP20 is suitable for areas of a special location, a bathroom is a special location but IP20 is fine for out of zones, the instructions say they pass a air test. I cant see why non IP rated downlights out of zones are not suitable for a bathroom.

We are also talking about passage of air here, not water, so just because a fitting is IP rated doesnt mean it will pass the required air test as far as im aware.

Wozz;...It is IP4X within zones but what is IP 20 please?

I have never seen one. How does this look in BS 60529?

dont you mean IPX4?

I realize it should be IP2X, but I have never seen that one a downlighter box, you will find however IP20 which is why i am in the incorrect habit of saying this. I dont have a copy of that and so I would have no idea!

Wozz;...It is IP4X within zones but what is IP 20 please?I have never seen one. How does this look in BS 60529?
Going on the copy of BS EN 60529, which I think you mean Technician, then IP20 would be protection against contact with live objects for objects greater than 12.5mm diameter (there are a few other bits but this is the gist of it), and not protected against water ingress at all.

Ref. Section 5.1, 5.2 & Tables I, II & III of the standard.

Sidewinder...yes...it IS a harmonised standard. As you are

aware a lot of folks get mixed up between IPX4 and IP4X.

The IP2X is a 12.5 mm standard finger. I was concerned that

someone thought this might be suitable within zones.

By the way, clearing up another matter... Is IPX2B a 12.5 mm

standard sphere and separate test entirely from the standard

finger? I picked this up on my studies for 2391.

Good post Canoeboy.

Last edited by a moderator: