clipping the loft

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b b

Reaction score
hello chaps,

do you clip in the loft or just throw cable from light to light?

job im on has no insulation and wont have untill after job is compleat and tennent moved in (grant issue) so have run battens and clipped to them so insulation can be pushed underneath.

is this right?

thanks

Sounds a neat job Paul, if the lagging is in place ,however, then for me , the less I mess with it the better , we poke a rod up each light point to locate them, then just throw it across , on top of the lagging . If anyone doesn't like it they can go and wallow in the evil stuff to there heart's content .

with out digging into books, what is the feasable worst case deratng for insulation, considering cable is on palsterboard surly cant drop 1.5mm to <6 amps?

without the books i thought it was around half

One can be too neat , a loft is just an empty void to me unless the customer says they are decking it out, the less time spent up there on my knees in the dirt, in a cloud of fibre glass particles the better . Self preservation reigns over a neat job that no one will ever see .

i always clip the cables as i go in the loft. Cos at some point people want it boarded over, and what about cable heating factors....

hello chaps,do you clip in the loft or just throw cable from light to light?

job im on has no insulation and wont have untill after job is compleat and tennent moved in (grant issue) so have run battens and clipped to them so insulation can be pushed underneath.

is this right?

thanks
An excellent installation method, but not one I use. I normally clip to joists and trusses (sides of) if accessible, but using fairly wide spacings on the clips. This way if cables are later buried under 3ft of rock wool, you do stand some chance of tracing cable without fighting hundreds of clips.

If loft has already got 3 ft of insulation, as many have now then I tend to do what everyone else does and lay cables on top, where cable has a chance to 'breath' and because I don't like falling through ceilings ;)

However most of the other sparks in my area just seem to throw cables across from light to light, except for new builds, where it is usually stipulated in contract that first fix is clipped.

One can be too neat , a loft is just an empty void to me unless the customer says they are decking it out, the less time spent up there on my knees in the dirt, in a cloud of fibre glass particles the better . Self preservation reigns over a neat job that no one will ever see .
done a few re-wires where the upstairs originally had a flat roof but then a normal roof built over. someone downstairs pushed a cable rod up to make a noise at location, and then a mash hammer made a nice access hole. cables string lined accross the place.

does this qualify as 'too neat'?

I like the warm lofts the ones that have celotexed ceilings. Cables are usually clipped at first fix as generally they are boarded out afterwards.

Do you mean clipped to a " Catenary Wire " Andy ? We have done it over suspended ceilings .
no, the cables are not clipped to anything. this was in a house. once in the loft, the main difference if there is a roof between you and the downstairs ceiling. usually straw with felt type design. just mash some big holes into this to get the wiring from the lights up into the loft. nothing to do with suspended ceilings