Come on own up, who did this!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordy71

Reaction score
121.jpg

A few pics from my phone,

The first one is just a random where i found this JB, reference method F for floating, the others are a partial rewire. I was there to do a quote for the bathroom, i decided i didnt even want my work in the same house as this guys. Very poor workmanship...

102.jpg

114.jpg

115.jpg

116.jpg

117.jpg

118.jpg

119.jpg

120.jpg

Oh and the backbox with the extended ring was gonna be plastered over, good luck finding it again!

gordy,

Well done for your professionalism mate, can't you get these people "reported", I found another way yesterday during my annual visit, it did initially feel wrong, but, at the end of the day, these "guys" are cutting corners and doing work that does not comply, so why not "report" them?...

Yes i was inclined to do so, it felt so awkward trying to explain to the customer what was so wrong with the work as he was oblivious to it and i think he thought i was just being rude, and he wouldnt tell me the name of who the work was carried out by. In this situation can you just give the address to whoever and they will investigate it? Who is it that we should contact? the ECA or building control? I dont suppose our governing bodies would be interested unless it was one of their contractors.

You need to be sure that they are with your "scam" then report them to your "inspector" and explain in detail why, they may well then pass this on to "their" inspector if not the same, or if the saem they may well investigate this themselves!

My "inspector" is very good, and was concerened with ao few other contractors jobs that were seen & discussed.

As I have said before on this forum, the assessor can only pass on what is seen and learned on the day of assessment. Anything you see like this should be reported, the importance of this, is that it could ultimately save a life, when they are forced to do it right.

The earths twisted together under the J/B are they to hold it up to stop the bit of sagging LOL.

The earths twisted together under the J/B are they to hold it up to stop the bit of sagging LOL.
Back in the day, nearly all JBs were like that. The really bad ones had the earths twisted so tight on the top that you could not get the lid off. Those of us of a certain age can remember Ashley bringing out a clamp that fitted under the JB and provided a earth terminal external to the box on opposing sides. Then they brought out a reg stating that all joints had to be in an enclosure and these clamps had a very very short life... :coat

Until a law is passed or Part P is rewritten to say that electrical work can only be carried out by fully qualified electricians this sort of thing will continue to happen & punters will continue to pay people to do work like this because the qualified electrician's quote was dearer.

Until a law is passed or Part P is rewritten to say that electrical work can only be carried out by fully qualified electricians this sort of thing will continue to happen & punters will continue to pay people to do work like this because the qualified electrician's quote was dearer.
Unfortunately its more than likely who ever's done this work is qualified. Alot of the cowboys are. Its hardly difficult to blag onto a part P scheme, especially if its near enough automatic after a 5 week course.

Apart from DIY'ers and people playing at spark, some of the worst work i've seen is by apprentices in large companies. If the companies busy, 2 apprentices might complete a job, then the QS simply signs it off. Testing either 'done in office' or just not at all. Well thats my explaination for some of the crap work round here by supposedly proper companies.

Unfortunately its more than likely who ever's done this work is qualified. Alot of the cowboys are. Its hardly difficult to blag onto a part P scheme, especially if its near enough automatic after a 5 week course.Apart from DIY'ers and people playing at spark, some of the worst work i've seen is by apprentices in large companies. If the companies busy, 2 apprentices might complete a job, then the QS simply signs it off. Testing either 'done in office' or just not at all. Well thats my explaination for some of the crap work round here by supposedly proper companies.
With all due respect to DIs who do things properly I fail to see how a 5 week course can teach everything that would be learned in three years on a 2360 or 2330 course. I would agree with you about apprentices though, I have seen installations like that myself. I think most of the forum users would agree there is nothing as dangerous as someone who thinks they know enough to do a job...

A little knowledge is sometimes more dangerous than none, I have seen sparkys who are happy to leave consumer unit lids off over night, joints not in enclosures, sparkys who dont own any test equipment who carry out the 'bang test' to isolate circuits! Unfortunately people are happy to pay less for bad work. How hard can it be to impose a licensing system where if you dont have one you cant work. Dont we have the highest rate of electrical fires in europe, i remember hearing?

Can't see who you are going to report bad workmanship too who is going to be interested anyway it probably is a diy job anyway thats why he looked offended.