commercial kitchen

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJLSparks

Reaction score
Large commercial kitchen, stainless steel units that fix together around entire perimeter. Used for prepping food, potato peeler positioned on top etc.

3 phase fuse board which will have various circuits, mainly protected by RCD, some not.

Kitchen designer has stated no need to earth these metal units as it's covered by RCD circuits.

What are your thoughts? Personally I would earth all units...

are they extraneous? probably not

are they an exposed conductive part? probably not

by earthing the units, you may be introducing a potential that could never have existed

DJL...Personally I would earth all units...

Do you not mean bond together?

Would a continuity test to earth be necessary to

verify that earthing should be done?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was about to say supplementary bond then noticed you said they were all fixed together so no point really.

In all commercial kitchens we've done we always bonded those metal prep tables TBH.

Maybe if there was no likelyhood of them ever coming live and total RCD protection possibly i would not bond them. Last commercial kitchen i did i did bond them and that was a TT installation with RCD protection but i still did bond them.

when i used to work in the family chippy all our prep units where earthed, same as the range fryer was earthed!

Maybe if there was no likelyhood of them ever coming live
This is the yardstick I also use. I usually ask myself the question "is there a realisitic chance that this metalwork could ever become live under fault conditions". If accessories/ appliances/ unarmoured cables are attached to this metalwork then personally I would say yes and thus connect the metalwork to the MET.

This is the yardstick I also use. I usually ask myself the question "is there a realisitic chance that this metalwork could ever become live under fault conditions". If accessories/ appliances/ unarmoured cables are attached to this metalwork then personally I would say yes and thus connect the metalwork to the MET.
As the Revv say's appliances will more than likely be put on them.

Thanks for all your responses...

It's very interesting hearing everyones views! Some would never bond these units, some always will...

Personally I think bonding them is the best route as these pep tables could potentially become live from a fault on the appliances/flexible cords etc...