Company refusing to connect new cooker until C/U is upgraded

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Fox

Reaction score
Hello,

Got a call today from a guy who has just ordered a new cooker, the delivery guys came round with it and went to install it but refused to after seeing the consumer unit. Home owner says to me its a Crabtree unit with mcb's but no rcd. They have also quoted him for a new c/u. Anyone else heard of this before? Didn't think a cooker installer would have looked at c/u before fitting as its an appliance not part of the fixed wiring or are they just trying to earn out of scaring the home owner? Not been to the house yet so unsure of exactly what the state of the c/u is. They have also quoted

probably some company desperate for work. under 16th, there was no requirment for RCD on cooker (unless socket (if fitted) could be expected so supply outdoors).

Re-wired last year? regs have changed, needs another re-wire ( but be warned, changes are expected within a year so start saving for that)

probably some company desperate for work. under 16th, there was no requirment for RCD on cooker (unless socket (if fitted) could be expected so supply outdoors).Re-wired last year? regs have changed, needs another re-wire ( but be warned, changes are expected within a year so start saving for that)
Exaclty what I was thinking Andy so is no-one now allowed a new cooker unless they have there c/u changed at the same time? I'll go round and quote on the consumer unit for the whole house but a better method to get round the rcd problem would surely be an RCBO in the c/u.

It's an appliance?? Surely the wiring is of little relevents to a fitter as long as it is there and big enough for the job??

There should be no need for the fitters to object to this.

They are not altering the wiring in any way.

Although my boys haven encountered some issues with outlets/cable sizes.

RCD protection is only a requirement if the installation wiring is altered/changed (as per 17th requirements).

Don

This company wants reporting in my opinion.

You can not insist a consumer unit is changed when the regulations clearly state that it is not required.

Any cu put into place under the 16th regs are not required to be upgraded.

On a pir the worst you could put is a code 4, which is not to current standards.

If you pm me the details of this company I will try to find out why the appliance installer got it so wrong.

It's an appliance?? Surely the wiring is of little relevents to a fitter as long as it is there and big enough for the job??
Exactly what my first thought was as you can see in my first post but began doubting myself! If they have left the cooker behind I may just connect it and charge for the labour and explain to the home owner the advantages of rcd's and reccomend he gets the c/u upgraded and sort a quote him for it.

If you pm me the details of this company I will try to find out why the appliance installer got it so wrong.
fairly obvious isnt it?!

bloke they send out to install appliance is told if there is no RCD, install new CU. refuse to connect because its 'law'

fairly obvious isnt it?!bloke they send out to install appliance is told if there is no RCD, install new CU. refuse to connect because its 'law'
Thats where they are totally wrong.

If the cable was damaged, of insufficiant size for the cooker or other electrical faults apparent then yes I agree do not connect.

There is no requirement to alter the exsisting wiring or methods of protection when intalling an appliance.

If you wanted you could put a rccbo in the place of the mcb but not change the whole cu.

If you wanted you could put a rccbo in the place of the mcb but not change the whole cu.
exactly, but the people they send probably dont know anything like that, so just simply say 'new CU req'd'. and, unfortunately, people will fall for it any pay up

exactly, but the people they send probably dont know anything like that, so just simply say 'new CU req'd'. and, unfortunately, people will fall for it any pay up
It's the old ladies I feel sorry for. Trusting 'the company'.

*shakes head*

Having just read the thread kindly posted by Apache, Can't remember who said it now but someone said its a get out clause of there maintenance contract if the "wiring isn't up to current standards" as that now includes an rcd what do people reccomend I do if it is a contract as I don't want the cooker to fail and the customer to be left with no maintenance contract?