Company refusing to connect new cooker until C/U is upgraded

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard of companys not connecting cookers if there is no outlet plate. This is wrong as there is nothing in regs to say you need an outlet plate for cookers in fact sometimes it is better without and quicker to install. A lot of theser companys charge

It just goes to show, that perhaps some of BG's employees are not up to scratch, and to protect themselves (BG) over complicates the regulatory requirements of BS7671.

The Godfather

what does the instruction manual for the cooker say?

RCD required?

therefore overiding any other reg, even your beloved 7671,

follow the manufacturers instructions.

BTW, fitting an RCBO does NOT subsitute for an RCD, not even a DP RCBO, the clue is in the name. the breaking capacity for an RCD is much much greater than an RCBO.

not me that makes the rules, !!!!!!

Unless it is a TT system no cooker should need an Rcd. Cookers have been around for 60 years or more without Rcd's so why should they need them now.

Batty

Steptoe, with the arrival of the 17th do you not expect White goods manufacturers to stipulate RCD protection (Other than mentioning the requirements of BS7671)?

(Showers have had this stipualtion for some time now)

Don

Unless it is a TT system no cooker should need an Rcd. Cookers have been around for 60 years or more without Rcd's so why should they need them now.Batty
Compliance with the 17th edition.

The Godfather

But an existing installation that has no Rcd protection if you are changing like for like why should you suddenly need an Rcd I cannot see this. By connecting that cooker you are not making the installation any less safe than what it already was.

Batty

But an existing installation that has no Rcd protection if you are changing like for like why should you suddenly need an Rcd I cannot see this. By connecting that cooker you are not making the installation any less safe than what it already was.Batty
Agree 100% Batty, but your previous post implied in general, rather than to the OP here.

(Perhaps I misunderstood your post)

Don

Long before i started going to college to do 2330 we had out kitchen done up. Whoever did the electrics put the cooker point on the ring circuit. For now theres only a 13A oven installed. Decorating the room next to the kitchen soon so i may put a 6mm cable in, seeing as it will be a new circuit and i assume i can use this as a job towards my assessment?

Long before i started going to college to do 2330 we had out kitchen done up. Whoever did the electrics put the cooker point on the ring circuit. For now theres only a 13A oven installed. Decorating the room next to the kitchen soon so i may put a 6mm cable in, seeing as it will be a new circuit and i assume i can use this as a job towards my assessment?
Yes you can.It is also notifiable(kitchen).

Steptoe, with the arrival of the 17th do you not expect White goods manufacturers to stipulate RCD protection (Other than mentioning the requirements of BS7671)?(Showers have had this stipualtion for some time now)

Don
the very point I was trying to make Don,

I would be very surprised if the manual/manufacturer didnt stipulate the requirement for an RCD.

but should be notified to LABC....
Already spoke to LABC about it, they say if i have paperwork to prove its for an assessment and 17th Ed they will waive the fee, good news for me.

Already spoke to LABC about it, they say if i have paperwork to prove its for an assessment and 17th Ed they will waive the fee, good news for me.
oh! I shall drink to that Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

nice one Jono!Applaud SmileyApplaud Smiley:DB-)

going back to the original cooker point...

IMHO...

IF the cooker was a higher rating.. thus bigger cable & circuit fuse rating...

OR

if it was a single oven of a ring .. but now needs a dedicated circuit..

then yep I could see the cooker fitters recomendations...

But other than that...

sounds like a big rip off to me!?X(X( X(

Wish they had done that for me. The bloke said he didn't want to charge me the fee but had to. I guess it depends on the area.

Ian.