Complaint

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elekk

Reaction score
[SIZE=medium]If a company pushes you to do wrong electrical work which can be a risk to the safety of life, it is of course unacceptable. Does anybody know where I can complain about the company?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]I tried to complain to companieshouse.gov.uk , engc.org.uk , and  also  theiet.org ; but they all say that they don’t accept these kind of complaints.[/SIZE]

We need a lot more info before we could even begin to answer this. ..

Is it your employer or are you sub contracted?

What is the nature of their business?

Are they a member of any scheme. .. NICEIC NAPIT ELECSA TRUSTMARK etc?

What did they push you to do?

I can post details here but I have to be vague due to obvious reasons, hope you understand it. It is an engineering consulting company and they were my direct employer. The sub-contractor was performing wrong engineering (design/construction) practices and I wanted to stop it. But instead of stopping the sub-contractor, they took action against me. The company is a member of, AJAS (Angelo Japanese American registrar), UKAS (UK accreditation service), and British Safety Council.

If there is anything that will be endangering persons at work then I would guess the buck would stop with the Health and Safety http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/

but remember YOU ALSO HAVE LEGAL OBLIGATIONS UNDER H&S...

So if there is some potentially life threatening practice that you have agreed to do....

Possibly..

you could be one of the persons who could be prosecuted.

The phrase.. "pushed you to do"..

still means you accepted the practice and carried it out..

If you are 100% confident there is a significant danger then you have rights and responsibilities to refuse to do the work.

If you are self employed (and the company is your client), or a sub contractor...

at the end of the day you can always walk away from the contract!!

If you are an employee of the company you can refuse to do dangerous work and instigate the company internal complaints procedure via your line manager..

Have you started off by writing to the company concerned with your complaint and legal reasons behind it ?.

if yes what was their reply?

Doing ANY work is a two way agreement between yourself and someone else...

which implies a level of acceptance of the terms and conditions of the work by yourself..

So unless you have evidence that you have expressed your concerns to them first through the appropriate channels, then this other company may well just say... 

Oh yeh he agreed to it, or chose to do it that way and has never complained to us, ????

Guinness

No I did not agree to do anything. I only told people within my organization that the sub-contractor should not be allowed to do wrong electrical design/construction practices, I have proof of this. But the subcontractor was powerful. So instead of taking action against the sub-contractor, my company terminated my employment.

I have to ask where are you from as the way you are asking the question seems to point to the fact your not British?

No I did not agree to do anything. I only told people within my organization that the sub-contractor should not be allowed to do wrong electrical design/construction practices, I have proof of this. But the subcontractor was powerful. So instead of taking action against the sub-contractor, my company terminated my employment.

font-size: 11pt;">No I did not agree to do anything. I only told people within my organization that the sub-contractor should not be allowed to do wrong electrical design/construction practices, I have proof of this. But the subcontractor was powerful. So instead of taking action against the sub-contractor, my company terminated my employment.

I think you are asking the wrong question to start with...

First off you need to establish if they have followed all employment law in their termination process... 

If they have and you start raising complaints on a matter you did not address in writing while you were employeed..

and you have no written documentation or evidence of your complaint..

Then I would say you are standing on very shaky ground and you will just be accused of being a moaning disgruntled ex employee!!

:C

Like what others have written,

Contact HSE with proof http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/raising-your-concern.htm specific breeches of EAWR 89 would likely be necessary, you have a duty under law to do this, but also a morale duty to the industry.

Consider approaching a lawyer in employment law regarding dismissal, google your nearest contact, you might be lucky to get a free consultation.

Keep in mind if they were not following BS7671 you may not have a leg to stand on, they would have to be in breech of EAWR 89

Hope this helps.

Elekk  , it sounds like a case of " Whistle blower syndrome"     .  Would that describe it ?

A bit difficult to comment when we don't know the details that prompted you to speak out .  

I've known many cases of of an employee stepping forward & expressing the  concerns of the workforce ...only to find the workforce has taken two steps backwards.              He is then regarded as a trouble maker ,  back of the queue in the promotion chase, etc.     Or worse as in your case.   

Phone their insurance company!! This will give them a few headaches i can tell you, BUT, if it turns out that the design/whatever was ok, then you will be, maybe, in big doo doo.

One thing that MIGHT save you from being sued for causing them hassle, is that as far as i know, you CANNOT sue anyone for anything, including breaches of data protection act etc etc IF they can show that when they did, whatever they did, they were acting in the public interest.. I suppose it is an extension of "No court shall come to the aid of the man who founds his case on illegallity"

john....