Connecting floor heating

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to butt in gents. I've read this thread with interest, even though most of it is double-dutch to me! I've recently had UFH installed, with 2 zones and added to my current condensing boiler (Vaillant) and my concern was how the GCH engineer had wired it up...For testing purposes, as there was no FCU in place yet, he put a 3-pin plug on the end of the circuit supplying the UFH and anyone who touched the plug got quite a nice jolt!

My assumption (I know we shouldn't make these!) is that this is incorrect. He said that this was caused because there's no way of isolating the supply for the UFH as it was going (techinical term!) via the boiler, which is always on.

I have since wired the supply cables for each zone into 3A DP switches, but wondered if anyone could alleviate my concerns.

Hope the above makes sense 'cos I think I've confused myself!!!
Certainly confused me ?:| Your avina larf aint yer ? :)

I have wired some under floor heating systems, I think they are Upnor systems .

Room stats are all low voltage 24 V DC connected to a heating PCB board, the zone valves are also connected to the PCB board, on the PCB board there is two relay connections marked Pump and Boiler, you can use either connection, this is then connected to a safety cut out then the circulating pump for the under floor system and from this to a motorized valve which is connected to the boiler. Is there a link wire between ST1 and ST2 if so this is probably where you will need to take the supply from if low voltage and reconnect the switch wire via a relay if low voltage to ST2. if not low voltage remove link and connect the orange wire from the motorized valve to it, the boiler Will probably need a permanent live feed to. On the Upnor system there can be upto 12 zones depending on PCB board, but if you connect a room stat to the PCB board every zone valve you connect after that will be controlled by that room stat until you connect another room stat, so more than one zone can be controlled by one stat hope this helps CJS :)

Sorry to butt in gents. I've read this thread with interest, even though most of it is double-dutch to me! I've recently had UFH installed, with 2 zones and added to my current condensing boiler (Vaillant) and my concern was how the GCH engineer had wired it up...For testing purposes, as there was no FCU in place yet, he put a 3-pin plug on the end of the circuit supplying the UFH and anyone who touched the plug got quite a nice jolt!

My assumption (I know we shouldn't make these!) is that this is incorrect. He said that this was caused because there's no way of isolating the supply for the UFH as it was going (techinical term!) via the boiler, which is always on.

I have since wired the supply cables for each zone into 3A DP switches, but wondered if anyone could alleviate my concerns.

Hope the above makes sense 'cos I think I've confused myself!!!
I would imagine the plug top is becoming live due to a backfeed from the boiler from the water heating circuit or radiators etc.