connector block in cu

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackfrosty

Reaction score
Hi, while changing a Consumer unit today one of the earths were a tadge to short so ive just used a terminal connector block. Thing is this is an assessment piece, will the assessor mind at all? I understand all terminals should be enclosed so being in a C/U this is really isnt it? Cheers

It would be very harsh to pick you up on that Herr Bartlett , what else does he expect you do with it . ? On some board changes I've through crimped 3-4 circuits to make them reach the new terminals .

Shouldn't be a problem IMHO

Any of the above mentioned...

Wagos, crimps, connector blocks..

(providing they are of a suitable current rating for the cables they are terminating!)

And they will be inside an enclosure that needs a tool to open it up so all perfectly safe and in compliance with all relevant regs IMHO! :D

have doen it with wago before,
we heard you would do anything with a wago...

you Wago 5lut you!!!! ]:) ] :) ]:) ; \

Deke prefers to go all the way with an earth lug I heard!! :eek:

but I couldn't possibly comment...

after I saw Admin with that Self Amalgamating Tape....

Not sure Admin2 wanted it that tight though! ]:)

:slap :slap:slap:slapGuinnessGuinnessGuinness

well keep it on the low but i was with helicon connectors but they only take up to 2.5mm and as some of you know i am a massive 6mm so i got some waygo on the side, also the 2 way are a lot slimer, and i like them slim,

love the slim your in

It would be very harsh to pick you up on that Herr Bartlett , what else does he expect you do with it . ? On some board changes I've through crimped 3-4 circuits to make them reach the new terminals . Shouldn't be a problem IMHO
shuv it where sun dont shine :^O :^O :run

I would use wagos a quicker job and they can't be pulled out if you use the push fits. Only reason to not use connector strip wires could come lose if its not fixed to the consumer unit although don't think I have ever had wires come loose and I have used thousands.

According to NICEIC chock blocks in a consumer unit is not allowed you need to crimp them through CJS

o crap got my assessment tomorrow morning and havent got a crimping tool, would he fail me or just advise you recon?

ive got a hand crusher type without the ratchet, would that get me out of trouble you recon just for my assessment?

just like this with this connector

crimp.jpg

Uh oh.

Best you rebook your assessment as the NIC dont allow ANY deviations from the regs, however small.

They are, after all, God.

I'd say that a pair of crimpers (one for insulated and one for uninsulated) along with a box of various crimps is essential equipment on any electricians van.

However, as you've just started out, you cannot be expected to have every conceivable tool you might require.

I agree with Ev, and believe that there is nothing fundamentally "wrong" with a choc inside a consumer unit, though I always crimp myself. Your assessor would have to be very harsh and picky to "fail" you for such a thing. He might suggest you should crimp it, in which case agree with him and tell him you intend to buy the necessary kit soon.

If he suggests it's not allowed, then ask for the reg number.

I think this is a minor issue and would caution against burning valuable time and diesel on it. Order the tools with your next order for delivery. Or pick some up next time you're at the wholesalers.

BTW: buy your crimps from your wholesaler, the Screwfix and Toolstation ones are cheap and poor quality IMO (the Toolstation uninsulated ones are okay though).

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/70036/Hand-Tools/Forge-Steel/Pliers-Cutters/Crimpers/Ratchet-Crimping-Tool

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/60547/Electrical-Supplies/Cable-Accessories/Crimps-Terminals/Ratchet-CrimpTool-1-5-16sqmm

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SWRP625.html (for when you need to do 25mm tails)

il pop down screwfix now, can you send me a link to the connectors required to crimp please to use with these ratchet crimpers