connector block in cu

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget some heat shrink, and perhaps a butane soldering iron with a heat gun attachment. Portasol do one.

ive got a hand crusher type without the ratchet, would that get me out of trouble you recon just for my assessment?just like this with this connector

crimp.jpg
use them and its a guaranteed fail

thanks thats what i thought. No different to the hundreds of other connections in there

this is what ive used at moment
connector_block.jpg

people mentioned a choc bloc but it wont fit hmm
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Go back and read post #5

Any of the above mentioned...Wagos, crimps, connector blocks..

(providing they are of a suitable current rating for the cables they are terminating!)

And they will be inside an enclosure that needs a tool to open it up so all perfectly safe and in compliance with all relevant regs IMHO!
Also have a read of section 526 Electrical connections

it's on page 106 & 107

see if you can find ANY reason why a plastic connector block inside a CU is not allowed!

There may well be neater options....

BUT

a connector block Providing it is of the correct rating for the cables used..

e.g. size adequate to accept the conductors entering it IS perfectly acceptable!!!

What do you do when connecting a light fitting that has a manufactures terminal block in the back of it?????

Its some wires terminated inside an electrical enclosure providing all the relevant mechanical & electrical protection etc...

:|

Its leaving lose connector blocks under floorboards or loft voids without any encloseure that don't comply!!!!!!!!!!!!!! headbang

i know what you mean. The amount of people who think on a rewire the sockets have to be half way up the wall and low light switches for disabled people

Special location can you help me with this please:

the bathroom light at the consumer unit job hasnt got an earthing point and hasnt even got the cpc going to it, i havent looked in loft to see if its there. The light is all plastic with a glass dome and assumed it is class2 but it doesnt have any markings. What should i do? put a comment on the certificate under comments on existing installation? something like no earth wire in bathroom light?

want everything spot on for this assessor

thanks

As I have said many many times before...It normally electricians hearing half a story off another mate who is a plumber.. who told him about something an electrician told him!!!

which was probably wrong anyway..

But then it becomes

NIC said this and its LAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:Oheadbang
I have worked for two NIC companies whos area asessor (possibly the same one) will pull them up (dont know action taken) about un fixed connector block.

i know what you mean. The amount of people who think on a rewire the sockets have to be half way up the wall and low light switches for disabled peopleSpecial location can you help me with this please:

the bathroom light at the consumer unit job hasnt got an earthing point and hasnt even got the cpc going to it, i havent looked in loft to see if its there. The light is all plastic with a glass dome and assumed it is class2 but it doesnt have any markings. What should i do? put a comment on the certificate under comments on existing installation? something like no earth wire in bathroom light?

want everything spot on for this assessor

thanks
If the circuit is RCD protected and the light unit is class II, then refer to the ESCs BPG on lights with no cpc. You should fit a sticker (*) to the CU and note it on your cert or if you've got the time pull a cpc across the loft from another light on the same circuit.

* something like this, but most wholesalers sell these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100-x-No-Provision-Earth-Label-Electrical-Label-/250578486960?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a57a446b0

If the circuit is RCD protected and the light unit is class II, then refer to the ESCs BPG on lights with no cpc. You should fit a sticker (*) to the CU and note it on your cert or if you've got the time pull a cpc across the loft from another light on the same circuit.* something like this, but most wholesalers sell these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100-x-No-Provision-Earth-Label-Electrical-Label-/250578486960?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a57a446b0
Are the label people not sponsers of the forum.