consumer units

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stringy

Reaction score
i was posting on another topic before about rcbo's and trying to get them neat and tidy, got me thinking about which boards have more room.

my boss use to get wylex boards and single rcbo's, but last week the wholsalers run out of rcbo's so i ended up getting a hager board instead.

first hager i have ever fitted, loads of room inside little spirit level built into the bottom of the board i was really impressed with it, dont think i would go back to wylex now.

just wondering which ones you guys fit or think are the best

Guiness Drink

I fit the cheapest, to keep my prices down end of...

(Or whatever is on offer, at the time)

:p

I've always liked the Hager boards - but the 17th edition ones seem to be unnaturally large - and don't tend to fit in as easy replacements.

I've just started using the Basics range from Denmans - cheap as chips and look and feel nice - and the 8 way is pretty compact so is good for replacing the old Wylex boards. Nice touches - like blanking strips, spare fasteners for the front and a small spirit level included. Some issues with the tolerences on the MCB's - but generally I've been well impressed. Haven't used the RCBO's with them yet - so can't comment with regards to that.

I fit the cheapest, to keep my prices down end of...(Or whatever is on offer, at the time)

i can understand that mate but i remember fitting a protec mains board one saturday afternoon was tightning the main switch up and the dam thing cracked.... didnt even tighten it that much

never ever use a protec again after that

I fit the cheapest, to keep my prices down end of...(Or whatever is on offer, at the time)

I did say preferred......................If the customer wants a low cost job then I've been known to use

Marbo/volex

Cti

Protec

Blushing

Sometimes more hassel that the saving is worth.

i was posting on another topic before about rcbo's and trying to get them neat and tidy, got me thinking about which boards have more room.my boss use to get wylex boards and single rcbo's, but last week the wholsalers run out of rcbo's so i ended up getting a hager board instead.

first hager i have ever fitted, loads of room inside little spirit level built into the bottom of the board i was really impressed with it, dont think i would go back to wylex now.

just wondering which ones you guys fit or think are the best

Guiness Drink
I have used a few Hager boards seem fine but plastic is a bit flimsy. I like MK as they have a far bit a room inside and seem better made. Contactum are no good full of RCBO'S as they havn't got the space at the top. I don't use Wylex as the quality of there products seem suspect to me. The thing I don't like with Hager is the RCBO'S still seem to be manufactured with black neutral cable.

Batty

i can understand that mate but i remember fitting a protec mains board one saturday afternoon was tightning the main switch up and the dam thing cracked.... didnt even tighten it that muchnever ever use a protec again after that
Never have, never will...

Horrid things..

:eek:

We sell Crabtree or Chint (Affectionately known as shint boards :) ), one quality, one cheap, although I think the Chint board is a rip off of the Square D' so it isnt a bad board and the 3ph MCB's go out at a tenner.

Whats with this spirit level thing being added to stuff these days. I saw one on an Elmdene bellbox the other day. Cracking idea but it must add to the cost.

I use steeple unless another is requested.

need to keep competetive

Dual rcd 10 way

I was intending to go for new Crabtree or Hager boards because of their quality, but instead went for the cheaper Wylex with the assumption that the RCBOs, when they ever make enough, will be a lot cheaper.

volex seem to have plenty of room for rcbos look ok too and cheap

Did a PIR on a volex yesterday

not enuff room for the the cables in a 10 way unit

too small

If you guy`s want a real pain to fit;)try the proteus range from Check Everything First(CEF).I wouldnt have em for free:|

My boss always buys steeple boards, we have used a few others like hager, volex and others.

But the steeple board has been the best one plenty off room and a well spaced out board.