consumer units

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going down the rcbo route myself.Can get some cracking deals on them if you push. Like using crabtree stuff. There tough and well insulated but I fitted a 17th Hagar (supplied) the other day and it looked ideal for rcbo's. Stacks of room up top where you need it

Going down the rcbo route myself.Can get some cracking deals on them if you push. Like using crabtree stuff. There tough and well insulated but I fitted a 17th Hagar (supplied) the other day and it looked ideal for rcbo's. Stacks of room up top where you need it
IMHO...

no mater which board you use space will be a problem..

not so much during the install....

but for the poor sod who has to do a PIR in 10 years...

they will need some very dexterous and well insulated fingers!!!

IMHO...no mater which board you use space will be a problem..

not so much during the install....

but for the poor sod who has to do a PIR in 10 years...

they will need some very dexterous and well insulated fingers!!!
Definitely mr sl contactum are a no no. MK and Hager are not to bad as long as you have not got to many circuits but you would probably use a split load board on bigger installs. I cannot understand why manufacturers have not made the din rail further down the board or make the boards taller. But 17th edition was rushed in so I suppose they have not had time to design them yet. We need a total redesign.

Batty

we have only ever used hagar single and three phase boards going on 7 years now

Fitted a Steeple today with a mixture of RCBOs and two ways via the usual split.

A right pain in the ****nal , the RCBOs certainly fill the thing up, one of 'em was faulty which means you have to drop the bus-bar out of all the others to change it . Had a few probs with connections working loose as I worked on the rest.

I usualy use Crabtree but they are too small for the RCBOs IMO.

Will try Hager next.

Fitted a Steeple today with a mixture of RCBOs and two ways via the usual split.A right pain in the ****nal , the RCBOs certainly fill the thing up, one of 'em was faulty which means you have to drop the bus-bar out of all the others to change it . Had a few probs with connections working loose as I worked on the rest.

I usualy use Crabtree but they are too small for the RCBOs IMO.

Will try Hager next.
I have tried fitting a couple of pods on mem boards recently. A real pain in the bum. They both took nearly an hour having to move bits around and no space. The last one I did had a neutral fault because it tripped straight out. I haven't been back yet to rectify it as I have been to busy. Not looking forward to it.

Batty

I got really irritated while fitting that Steeple, ( must be getting too old ) . We only fittied RCBOs because it was for a very elderly lady with poor eyesight so any probs would only trip one circuit.

From now on I'm just going to fit the double RCD Split load, they'll have to put up half the house going off, I'm afraid.