Smart MCBs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening all, upgrading a fuse box in a few weeks for a customer, who has abit of an interfering SIL who lives in the states, he keeps banging on about having these smart mcbs, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004153509348.html
for reasons I don't know, think hes thinking instead of a RCBO.
. I'm not going to fit them, not keen, can't imagine they're compliant, not sure the point as would still have an RCBO which would need manually resetting if it tripped. If it's just for monitoring then he can get plug in ones.
Just wondered what your thoughts are on them?

This may be a clue as to what they do!
1676360690599.png
Certainly NOT a breaker or protective device of any type, and it says that on the website, so not suitable for circuit protection.
As they are power in at the top, then, they can't be fitted to the busbar in a "normal"! EN 61439-3 Tye A D.
Also, as they are not on the bus bar, then they could be fitted into the enclosure on the end of the row after the DIN rail with outgoing circuits wired through them for individual power monitoring and switching.
I actually like that idea, but, I'm not sure that the quality of these is there.
They are basically a wi-fi controlled contactor and a power meter with a wi-fi signal output in a box that is fixed to a DIN rail.
However, no mention of CE or UKCA marking which would be needed to utilise them in the uk.

Last edited:
Thanks all for your input, just confirmed what I thought. I've told him and he came back with more links to the same things just differently branded. He's gone away looking again, he's wanting to monitor the power usage of the circuits remotely ( America), I've suggested plug in type devices!

Thanks all for your input, just confirmed what I thought. I've told him and he came back with more links to the same things just differently branded. He's gone away looking again, he's wanting to monitor the power usage of the circuits remotely ( America), I've suggested plug in type devices!
Schneider powertag

Latest posts