cooker isolation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
What form of isolation do low power cookers need? The fact that they are on a plug top, does this cover

The isolation, even if it is in or behind kitchen units? Or does the cooker need a spur in an accesible place?

Thanks

If it was on a plugtop I'd either plug it in in an adjacent cupboard or wire it into an outlet with spur above. If it is plugged in the socket outlet is fine for isolation. You could use the existing cooker circuit to supply it, just make sure that the outlet has a spur on it to fuse it down and\or drop the CPD size down at the CU.

You could just plug it in behind the oven but it can be a bit of a PITA as there's an inaccessible fuse, or not easily accessible anyway.

There is no longer a Regulation specifically requiring cookers to have any form of isolation. Hasn't been since the introduction of the 16th edition.

Regulation 132.15.1 Effective means, suitably placed for ready operation, shall be provided so that all voltage may be cut off from every installation, from every circuit thereof and from all equipment, as may be necessary to prevent or remove danger.

Suggest that a ccoker should have some means of isolation readily placed so that it can be switched off in the event of an emergency. Although I'm sure someone could argue that the MCB at the CU is adequate.

There is no longer a Regulation specifically requiring cookers to have any form of isolation. Hasn't been since the introduction of the 16th edition.Regulation 132.15.1 Effective means, suitably placed for ready operation, shall be provided so that all voltage may be cut off from every installation, from every circuit thereof and from all equipment, as may be necessary to prevent or remove danger.

Suggest that a ccoker should have some means of isolation readily placed so that it can be switched off in the event of an emergency. Although I'm sure someone could argue that the MCB at the CU is adequate.
building regs say 2 meters though

building regs say 2 meters though
I think you'l have to be more specific.

Part P, M or ?

Does that apply only to new builds, to extensions or alterations.

Remember that compliance with Part P can be achieved with compliance with BS7671.

I think you'l have to be more specific.Part P, M or ?

Does that apply only to new builds, to extensions or alterations.

Remember that compliance with Part P can be achieved with compliance with BS7671.
part p guide recomends 2 meters

osg says should be no more than 2 meters

its good practice also

Don't actually know what it is you are stating here?

What is good practice?

Having a cooker switch, or having an effective means of isolation readily available?

I can see nothing in Part P relating to this. The OSG is juast guidance, and whilst it often refers to the Regulations, it is not a Regulation.

Perhaps you could explain?

Don't actually know what it is you are stating here?What is good practice?

Having a cooker switch, or having an effective means of isolation readily available?

I can see nothing in Part P relating to this. The OSG is juast guidance, and whilst it often refers to the Regulations, it is not a Regulation.

Perhaps you could explain?
basicly you said that the mcb is sutable for isolating the cooker so it could be argued that no cooker switch is needed.

in the electricians guide to building regs it recomends a control switch no more than 2 meters away from the cooker. pg 55

in the osg it say the switch should be no more than 2metres from the cooker pg 160

may be its not part p but another reg or i could just be wrong.

but if i put in a cooker circuit i also put in a switch within 2m:)

As far as I'm concerned all appliances - machines etc, should have a local means of isolation , so a cooker would be (a) hard wired to a DP switch (B) hard wired to a local switched spur unit or © plugged into a local socket . An MCB or fuse in a dist.bd has never been considered to be local isolation .

Getting too complicated !!

Returning to OP , Cooker with plug, shove it in local socket ( that is accessible !!)

Socket behind cooker is NOT accessible. Socket in cupboard next to it IS .

Deke

basicly you said that the mcb is sutable for isolating the cooker so it could be argued that no cooker switch is needed.in the electricians guide to building regs it recomends a control switch no more than 2 meters away from the cooker. pg 55

in the osg it say the switch should be no more than 2metres from the cooker pg 160

may be its not part p but another reg or i could just be wrong.

but if i put in a cooker circuit i also put in a switch within 2m:)
No I didn't.

I said that someone might argue that it was adequate.

I also pointed out that there is no specific Regulation regarding cookers and isolation any more.

No I didn't.I said that someone might argue that it was adequate. i must have mis readBlushing.

I also pointed out that there is no specific Regulation regarding cookers and isolation any more. i was just saying its in my building reg book, i did not mention 7671
:)

As far as I'm concerned all appliances - machines etc, should have a local means of isolation , so a cooker would be (a) hard wired to a DP switch (B) hard wired to a local switched spur unit or © plugged into a local socket . An MCB or fuse in a dist.bd has never been considered to be local isolation . Getting too complicated !!

Returning to OP , Cooker with plug, shove it in local socket ( that is accessible !!)

Socket behind cooker is NOT accessible. Socket in cupboard next to it IS .

Deke
Or could wire socket behind cooker to a Fused spur with a neon above the worktop?

Evans Electric is absolutely right when it comes to machinery especially in industrial situations as a local isolation of energy sources must be implemented to comply with PUWER98 regulations.

If the cooker were in a commercial or business kitchen then PUWER98 would cut in and it would be required.

Domestic another situation until an electrician or appliance repair man comes in to work on the cooker then PUWER98 kicks in as it becomes their place of work.

Now then...

Paul

Evans Electric is absolutely right when it comes to machinery especially in industrial situations as a local isolation of energy sources must be implemented to comply with PUWER98 regulations.If the cooker were in a commercial or business kitchen then PUWER98 would cut in and it would be required.

Domestic another situation until an electrician or appliance repair man comes in to work on the cooker then PUWER98 kicks in as it becomes their place of work.

Now then...

Paul
I'm sorry, but a cooker in a domestic installation would never be covered by PUWER98.

It might be covered by EAWR98.

spinlondon,

Yes sorry you are right EAWR89, when I re-read my post in the light of yours, I had a DOH! moment!

So yes EAWR89 kicks in as soon as someone comes to work at the house.

Paul

Here's the Regulation from the 14th:

"A.29 Every stationary cooking appliance shall be controlled by a switch separate from the appliance and within 6 feet of the appliance. Where two stationary cooking appliances are installed in one room, one switch may be used to control the two appliances provided that neither appliance is more than 6 feet from the switch."

I believe the 15th just had 2m instead of 6'.

They changed it in the 16th to this:

"476-03-04 Every fixed or stationary appliance which may give rise to a hazard in normal use and is connected to the supply other than by means of a plug and socket-outlet complying wiyh Regulation 537-05-04 shall be provided with a means of interupting the supply on load. The operation of the means of interupting the supply on load shall be placed as not to put the operator in danger. This means may be incorporated in the appliance or, if separate from the appliance, shall be in a readily accessible position. Where two or more such appliances are installed in the same room, one interupting means may be used to control all the appliances."

Now we have this:

"132.15.1 Effective means, suitably placed for ready operation, shall be provided so that all voltage may be cut off from every installation, from every circuit thereof and from all equipment, as may be necessary to prevent or remove danger."