Copper Price / Copper Prices / Scrap Values

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are they still paying cash, of have they implemented the new bank transfer only rules yet?
Its cheque or bacs now. Obviously in the wifes name.

Some friendly traveller people who were weighing in their ill gotten gains had of all things a bassoon. How you come to obtain one of them for scrap puzzled me. I offered them £10 for it, wouldnt take it though. Couldnt understand their reply either.

Wonder how they're carrying on as anything metal disappears from outside house in an hour round here so there must still be some bent scrappies or they've worked a way round it.

Have heard that the scrappy is getting round the bank payments by issuing you with a credit card type thing that they charge with the price of the scrap then you withdraw the money from any cash point. Now who the card belongs too yet to discover. Although I think that you can get the cards fairly easy.?

At least the card can be lost if need be and if it isn't registered to you then what's it matter?

£3.80 for bright clean copper today in the Highlands. Best price of the 3 scrappies.

But still paying cash up here. That new law is England & Wales only :innocent

Just weighed in a load-

Lead pipe - £1 kg

Household Copper Cable - £1.52 kg

Dry Bright - £4.20 kg

Mixed Brass - £2.50 kg

My scrapper do the prepaid credit card thing. £12 to set up, in your name and you can withdraw cash from any cash point.

Now I'm the other way round.

I strip up to 6mm back to bare because it's so easy to do.

But the larger stuff I just bag and weigh it in as "household" because it's so much harder to strip by hand. 

But then I don't have a mangle.

P.S, whatever size, at least tear out the CPC and put that in the clean copper bucket.

I looked at this quite a while ago... for small stuff I dont bother, the cost reward ratio just isnt there,, I dont have a machine :(

However I always strip armour down to the bedding...then it can go in as household

Had a search thru this thread but cant find the answer im looking for, ive been going thru my old scrap cable to strip owt that's worth stripping, got a load of big t+e (16mm) that when stripped is silvery in colour rather than coppery. Should I keep this separate do you think or is it ok to chuck it all in together?

Also - wtf? whys it not copper coloured?

Some old cables were tinned copper.

Personally I wouldn't strip it, I would sell it with the PVC still on.  When stripped it's still not "bright copper" so won't be worth as much and will need to be weighed separately.  There's a separate lower price for tinned copper.

Ah, many thanks for that. So what sort of date would you put on the tinned copper t+e? Its got a white outer sheath and was quite happy in its environment, looked like it could have stayed there undisturbed passing current for many more years yet, but the house owners wanted a full rewire so out it came

I wouldn't rush to cash it in, was gonna take a load in last weekend, then heard the price, £800-950 a ton unstripped. Apparently the market has dropped in the last week. ?