Copper Price / Copper Prices / Scrap Values

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just phoned European Metal Recycling Ltd, Shoreham center near me and the bloke said on the phone

How come you guys get more for your scrap than we do up here?

It's particularly galling, as when I lived darn sarf, a guy in our village ran the local scrappie down there, and he said all his scrap copper ends up at a place in Forres not far from here. So transport costs can't be the reason we get less because they should be lower.

Perhaps in future I'll have to save it all up, and bring it darn sarf to get a better price next time we are down that way.

I've just had a bit of a clear out in my garage. Most recent prices I got at EMR on 27/06/12 were

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a quick question:

I have a foam lagged copper hot water cylinder to take to the scrappy

Do you get more for it if you strip the foam lagging off first to leave it as bare copper?

Wholesale copper price is still falling, but holding steady for a few days at £4,800 i assume per ton, it was £5,200 around 4 weeks ago, Draka tweet the copper price every day if you are interested.

always tuck a bit away over the year prices arnt to bad down here but no cash payments any more seems like the taxman wants to know about everything now...

always tuck a bit away over the year prices arnt to bad down here but no cash payments any more seems like the taxman wants to know about everything now...

The introduction of cash payments is to help combat metal theft and the non-traceability of persons illegally selling scrap that they do not own. Metal theft is becoming a very serious and costly issue with 1000's of tons of metal from all walks of life being stolen for easy cash; communications & railway signaling, Churches Lead roofs, Council metal street furniture, Office & retail air conditioning units, Motor trade Catalytic converters etc, etc..  Obviously if the taxman did choose to investigate your affairs non--cash payments will be easier to identify, but unless you are expecting HMRC to check up on you, or you have major transactions to hide, I am inclined to think that the deterrent toward metal theft is the better cause. 

Doc H.