Copper Price / Copper Prices / Scrap Values

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What sort of size cable is the smallest thats worth spending time stripping?
I'd like to know if anyone has thought about this too,

Ive only really ever stripped big stuff down before, >16mm

but Ive got a wheelie bin full of T&E in the yard(from a couple of re-wires) Im going to weigh in this weekend, is it worth stripping the 6+10mm stuff down and just ripping the cpc from the rest of it?

or does anyone actually strip right down to the 1.0mm T&E? :eek:

Steps: Here's what I do.

I strip all SHORT lengths, i.e less than 2 metres of all sizes of cable right down to 1mm.

Above 2 metre length, it's too much hassle and too time consuming to strip it, so I just tear out the CPC for the clean copper bucket, and put the remaining insulated cable in the PVC cable bag.

Longer lengths >10 metre, of red / black twin and earth, if in good condition, I sell on ebay. You get more for it than the scrappie from the idiots who think it proves the job was "pre part p"

I put ANYTHING in the insulated cable bag, even offcuts of coax and phone cable, though I haven't tried taking any of that to the scrappie yet so don't know if they will accept the phone cable etc in there.

thanks Dave,

not much work on next couple of days so some stripping to do.

I ripped most of it out in max 5m lengths, council semi so no big runs,

may as well strip it all, weathers great round here this week, almost 20C. :D

depends... strip most above 4mm, sometimes 2.5 / 1.5 depending how i feel

summer is best time to strip it, easier to work with. also advisable to leave it in the sun (supervised of course, otherwise it may develop legs)

Last edited by a moderator:
never thought to strip the cpc out of the smaller cable

i am off to the scrappy tomorrow

2 ovens,,1 hob,1 cooker hood, 2 old metal light fittings,,,,,

When I took the last one down it's was a mix of swa, telephone cable, household cable and flex etc they were fine and got I think

Latest posts