Correctly Wiring Up An Air Pump For My Pond?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gimli1985

Reaction score
Hi all!

I am a DIY-er who is enjoying keeping fish and maintaining my pond!

I need to make sure I have rigged this up correctly.

There is already a pond pump in the pond and it is getting its power from the shed, where there is a fused switch. The switch is connected to the main board via an RCD (30mA 80A).

As the pond is far away from the shed there is a weatherproof box next to the filter that houses a connector/junction box that puts the pumps power cable straight into connection with the 3 core cable that goes through conduit to the shed's fused switch.

To install the weather proofed air pump I have bought a plastic surge protected Wickes Multi Socket/Plug adapter. I cut the plug off of it and connected the earth, neutral and live to the connector/junctionbox so that it feeds off of the mains. I have removed the pumps power cable from the connector/junction box and wired it up to a 13A fused plug which I have plugged into the Wickes surge proctected multi-socket. The pond pump works well and no trips from RCD or fuses blown.

However, I am still to connect the air pump to the new multisocket that I have rigged up. The manual asks to wire the air pump to a 3A or 5A fused plug, which I have done. I wish to plug it into the weatherbox multiplug but I just want to make sure I am doing the right setup here.

Should I have bought a metal socket switch and put that in the weatherbox rather? Was it wise to use the Wickes multisocket?

Your advice is really appreciated!

Many thanks

Chris

^^^Great for pond pumps :)

If the second rcd or rcd spur tripped before the one in the consumer unit (whatever that is) while the homeowner was away the fish would die but at least the freezer full of food didn't defrost ;)

Ideally garden stuff should be on a separate circuit(rcbo) but is mostly spurred off a ring or on a 13a plug via 2.5 mm swa

:rofl

I didn't read the op properly sorry it's the wine. You see I don't normally drink at all but it's been a rough few days!

:slap

Last edited by a moderator:
This is great advice, thanks kme! And that seems to be a great ex VAT price on the Blagdon Weatherproof Multiswitch Box. I think I might change mine then, although I was going to install some Brennenstuhl Remote Switches so that I can turn off the air pump during the day from the kitchen (only in winter).

How would you test the effectiveness of the RCD over the pond pump? I am going to get a second RCD for the weatherproof switch me thinks in any event!

Some socket testers allow you to test an rcd you won't get a result though. Do some of the fluke voltage indicators also do this and do they give you a result?

Oh and I'm always amazed at the amount of things you can get from tlc :)

Last edited by a moderator:
"

^^^Great for pond pumps 

If the second rcd or rcd spur tripped before the one in the consumer unit (whatever that is) while the homeowner was away the fish would die but at least the freezer full of food didn't defrost ;)

Ideally garden stuff should be on a separate circuit(rcbo) but is mostly spurred off a ring or on a 13a socket via 2.5 mm swa

:rofl

I didn't read the op properly sorry it's the wine. You see I don't normally drink at all but it's been a rough few days!

"

Ye mine has been spurred off of a 13A socket in the shed through some waterproof 2.5 mm swa.

Just don't open up a tumble dryer after a glass like I did. A dozen stitches later in my finger to staple down the artery!

Thanks for the input guys!

How would you test the effectiveness of the RCD over the pond pump? I am going to get a second RCD for the weatherproof switch me thinks in any event!
1. Using a Multi Function tester

2. Theres absolutely no point in a 2nd RCD as the main board one will trip first 99 times out a 100.

I got voltage of 235 odd and when the pump was on about a draw of .26 if I remember. looked like good results. Any other I should have looked at?

The guys who make the inside of appliances are sadistic geniuses! The utility room was like a scene from the Saw horror movies. Nice pool of blood.

Razor blade sharp in them!

Wife does let me cut onions now! :B-  

There is no way to guarantee which RCD will trip when they are the same type and in series, that is both instantaneous, regardless of the current trip rating.

However, there is something to be gained, not in this application I hasten to add, for having instantaneous RCD's in series, it's called redundancy, or redundant protection.

So, OP, personally I very much doubt that you will get any advantage that can be guaranteed by fitting another rcd in series with the one already in place.

A separate supply circuit independent of the house is always good for exterior circuits.

I have two of the older Blagdon type boxes on my Koi pond.

I don't have any remote controls, yet! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts