couple of cooker questions

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
got a couple of questons

1. induction hob flex cable, 7.4kw hob, ask for 90 degree flex. shoped around a bit and i can only get this in 2.5 mm, i wanted to use 4mm but i can only find this up to 85 degree, any idears

2. got a microwave 3.4kw, says can be fitted with plug, tad over 13 amps but i doubt it will use 3.4 kw. can also be hard wired in so i was planning on putting it on same circuit as the 3.6kw oven. all on a 20 amp mcb. would i be best of fuseing down the micro?

thanks for advice

Not sure why they are calling for 90c flexible on an induction hob, ....They don't generate heat like a conventional hob???? The top of my induction hob is cool enough to put your hand on the cooking area within a couple of minutes after cooking.... Maybe because of the extra stated current carrying capabilities of the 90c flexible cable....

But then, ....diversity can be applied to all thermostatically controlled multi element cooking appliances....

Never seen or heard of a domestic 3.4 kw microwave oven, not unless your including other cooking elements that's incorporated into the microwave appliance ...ie ...Combo microwave units!!!

This is a combination of "manufacturers instructions" and "tech. knowledge".

Although instructions state it can go on a plug; it then says its 3.4KW; the two are not mutually compatible, so you have to ignore one - I`d go with worst case - maybe it IS 3.4KW. If it is, it WILL draw that much when the magnetron energises.

What is the possibility of the microwave being used whilst the oven is on? If possible, 20A supply may not be sufficient - unless you want to do your own diversity calcs??

I`d want the ding and oven on seperate 16A radials; unless the chance of both being used together is very low.

KME

KME,

Quite, however the Larnacaman has a point, IF the 3.4 is total connected load, then it may not be possible to energise the full load at the same time?

Else ding as you say is really over combining with the hob.

Think is also a magnetron is an inductive load on start so the inrush "could" pop a 13A, it may not it depends on the exact internal design "I guess"!

;)

Why not just plug the micro into one of the kitchen ring sockets as normal, and keep the Hob on it's own circuit..

A good indication of the current draw on that microwave is to check size of manufacturers flex. Most i've ever seen on a micro wave is 1mm ....

Oh ....and yes, normally these combo elements cannot all be ON at the same time. 3 types of heating but only 2 can be used simultaneously.....

the micro wave oven is emc38915x http://www.********ux.co.uk/Products/Product-details/?pId=3d6b8fcd-869a-4fe4-9db0-556907c2f32c

looks more like an oven. not sure if the grill and micro and hot air can all be used together.

i would like to put it on a 32 amp and fuse down the micro but like you say it could well draw 3.4 kw. bit of a tough one 2 radials is out of question now mate.

the oven is single but 3.6 kw i think due to the pyrolytic cleaning

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 00:30 ---------- Previous post was at 00:26 ----------

the induction hob is on its own circuit,

the other circuit is for the oven and micro

Ah, a built in combination m/wave e-l-e-c-t-r-o-l-u-x.

Don't know why it's blocked, there is obviously a reason!

Looks like it may be able to draw 3.4kW.

Not enough info in the user manual to decide!

Looking at the spec. I would say the most it can use at any time is 2100W; so I could be tempted to go with your original suggestion. If the supply cable is 4 or 6mm, you have the ability to go to 25 or 32 A protective device - but the ding should be fine on a plug ;)

KME

edit -snakehips - penultimate page......

Grill (1K5W) plus max 600W micro (but is that input or output?)

Similar hot air plus micro....

but not hot air plus grill plus micro........ ;)

The oven also will have at least 3 elements incorporated ...main oven, top grill, and maybe a fan element. Again all these elements won't be on at the same time. This is why the well know diversity formula for cookers and cooking appliances has been been in place for 40 odd years without a problem.....

Sorry i miss read your original post, if your talking about the oven and the microwave oven ....i really can't see a problem utilising both on a 20A mcb .... if micro is on a socket it will be fused down anyway, ...if not, then via fcu ....both will fuse down. But do check manufacturers data, ....it may, as side winder said need a 13a fuse for in-rush current purposes....

the micro wave oven is emc38915x http://www.********ux.co.uk/Products/Product-details/?pId=3d6b8fcd-869a-4fe4-9db0-556907c2f32clooks more like an oven. not sure if the grill and micro and hot air can all be used together.

i would like to put it on a 32 amp and fuse down the micro but like you say it could well draw 3.4 kw. bit of a tough one 2 radials is out of question now mate.

the oven is single but 3.6 kw i think due to the pyrolytic cleaning

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 00:30 ---------- Previous post was at 00:26 ----------

the induction hob is on its own circuit,

the other circuit is for the oven and micro
Make it tiny and sneak anything past http://tinyurl.com/34sxagm

Latest posts