Creda Redhead Immersion - Thermostat Replacement?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brummydave

Reaction score
Pardon my heating newbieness, but i'd love to hear some wisdom please. In a holiday bungalow that's been used occasionally for the last 50 years I've come across some queries.

I spotted a top mounted Creda immersion heater (Redhead brand, code 61466, marked as BS3456 as well) with heat damaged cable.

The element reads 17.5Ohm so i figure it's still ok, and there's no Insulation issues. However the thermostat is ancient. It's a wide and short thing, think it's dated 1979! No obvious cutout at all.

If just replacing the cable does the thermostat/heater need to comply with BS EN 60335-2-73?

Is it possible to get a replacement thermostat for an immersion heater this old?

Sorry I didn't notice if the header tank is plastic or metal,it is above the hot water tank in the airing cupboard.

Thanks you lot, D.

I dont know if its law , or not, but, for the price of a stat, I replace them as a matter of course if Im working on an immersion without a cut-out one already fitted.

covers your rear end and all that.....

I would have thought that so long as you state on any paperwork that you give the customer that you have only replaced the flex and that you recommend that the element/stat is replaced for one with a safety cut out then your rear end should be covered.

However... as steps says.... for peace of mind

for piece of mind

Last edited by a moderator:
The "problem" is a lot of modern thermostats with the cut out don't work well top mounted and have a tendency to trip for no reason.

I would first look in the loft.  If it has a metal header tank (likely for a 50 year old install) then I would stick to the old style thermostat without a cut out. You can still buy them if you seek hard enough.  I would also adjust the inlet valve to lower the water level in the metal heater tank as well.

If you do fit a new thermostat, show the customer how to reset the cut out or you might get called back often.

Thank you, great food for thought. There's a load of safety issues that need addressing including the fact there's fabric covered wiring, no RCD (or predecessor) on the TT system (Ra is 90Ohms), no bonding, and a squirrel infestation that could've done all sorts of damage.

Peace of mind will be needed in many areas!

It's not a place I want to be called back to as it's in the middle of the countryside - over an hour on a good day so thanks for the advice PD.

I've got a pic somewhere of the stat, i'll dig it out and see what you all think :)

TTFN,

ADMIN do you know why the system won't let me upload. Boo! Something about exceeding allotted space - i havnt uploaded anything yet!

Just two tiny pics waiting...