Creda Storage Heater (neutral & live both live)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

to12ny

Reaction score
I removed a working Creda storage heater to decorate behind it.

On testing whilst putting back -

the elements do not heat up (the connections are live)

the neutral and live connections (at the switch) are both live

Any help would be much appreciated.

Using a screwdriver type tester (yes I know) the neutral tests live.

sounds like a broken neutral,

but to be on the safe side you really need to get a volt tester to test to earth on both LINE & NEUTRAL,

BTW, nothing wrong with NEON screwdrivers, I wouldnt be without mine, use it everyday, but some(most) people hate them,

they have their limitations but also their good points, just be careful you NEVER actually use it as a screwdriver, thats when the problems arise.!

As per Steps above mate.

However, which switch?

If at the heater, then check the conneciton unit perhaps the "supply" side N has dropped out.

Just isolate & make safe then carefully re-trace your steps until you find the dodgy N.

If you can't find it then perhaps you will need some help.

As per Steps above mate.However, which switch?

If at the heater, then check the conneciton unit perhaps the "supply" side N has dropped out.

Just isolate & make safe then carefully re-trace your steps until you find the dodgy N.

If you can't find it then perhaps you will need some help.
+1

after turning off the heater at the mains board,

starting with the switch where you have the live wires systematically check all the connections in turn, working back towards the mains,(you may have more than 1 switch for each heater,) until you have found the broken/loose neutral wire.

take your time,

and above all make sure the mains is turned OFF.

Just switched on and the neutral is "neutral" and the elements are heating up?????

Guess I will stick it back on the wall and keep my fingers crossed.

Curiouser and Curiouser?????

Thanks for the help.

still check it out,

you most likely have a loose connection somewhere,

could heat up/arc and the consequences could be a fire, this is a real possibility.

not trying to scaremonger, but there is a reason it wasnt working to start with, things seldom have a magic fix for themselves.