CSU Height

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lvukol

Reaction score
Does the Height of the CSU have to be within the Part M regs of 1200 to the top?

I always thought it had to comply but received the specification for a job My teams just about to start from the M&E consultants the it states the boards as being 2200 center.

Tight to the ceiling seems a little extreme to me.

Some clarification would be welcome and if possible the page in the regs.. Ive looked but cant find anything specific to the Fuse Board

Regards

Lvukol

Evening.

i asked this on my recent napit assessment.

if you look in the regs and on site guide, its only socket and switch heights specifically noted. CU is left ambiguously..

ie not part m.

New build or rewire?

New build should comply with Part M...

also ALL equipment should be installed so as to be accessible for operation, inspection, testing, fault detection, maintenance and repair.

thats from 132.12 Accessibility of electrical equipment

bullet point (ii) page 18 of BS7671!

Now how you interpret that is your decision..

But IMHO mounting a CU right up at the ceiling such that an elderly person (such as my mom 5ft nothing),

has to go climbing stepladders in the dark if the lights trip is NOT accessible in my book!

:|

I would ALWAYS try and install a CU such that it can be reached and worked on whilst by an average height person standing on the floor.

Guinness

It could be argued that it is not a normal accessory that someone needs to have access to but even at 2200mm that would be a b**ch for most people to get to (esp without steps, he is tall you know :p ).

you can put it as a deviation due to "so&so" specification.

alleviates you of the responsibility.

as long as you have it in writing of course.

thats what your deviations box is for.

Yeh it's a bit of an awkward one. I just naturally have always put it at 1200 without thinking (or looking in the regs) in the past, the main reason for this is it's one less height for the tackers to forget when bringing the cables out and secondly keeps it easily accessible.

Just wanted to get some other opinions in case it becomes an issue at a later date. I'd hate to have to change it 133 times in all the flats :S

Evening.i asked this on my recent napit assessment.

if you look in the regs and on site guide, its only socket and switch heights specifically noted. CU is left ambiguously..

ie not part m.
It does also mention TV, Telephone, Doorbell, Entry phone points... ; \ :)

But the key reference is to PART M section 8

SoketheightsAppM.jpg

The pivotal point mentioned there is "Habitable rooms"

so a CU in the cupboard under the stairs is NOT a habitable room..?

If you put it too low its going to need to be boxed in with a lock of some sort thats what I was told, so builder probsably won't like that. Generally I put them at eye height easy to get too and chidren can't fiddle with them.

The pivotal point mentioned there is "Habitable rooms"so a CU in the cupboard under the stairs is NOT a habitable room..?

I guess a CU is not used in a dwelling unless there is a fault but not on a day by day basis.

It could be argued that it is not a normal accessory that someone needs to have access to but even at 2200mm that would be a b**ch for most people to get to (esp without steps, he is tall you know :p ).
erm? :|

I think it is!!!!!!

we expect a non skilled person to be able to push the test button 4 times a year for each RCD, as per 514.12.2.

ALL good practice guidance suggests turning the power off when changing light bulbs or light fittings...

and any Joe Public could be reasonably expected to purchase a nice new light fitting from B&Q and legally change it him/her self???

;)

I guess a CU is not used in a dwelling unless there is a fault but not on a day by day basis.
The Habitable room bit is IMHO for the wheelchair friendly height.

But for reg 132.12 should still be accessible without ladders for non wheelchair users !

The Habitable room bit is IMHO for the wheelchair friendly height.But for reg 132.12 should still be accessible without ladders for non wheelchair users !

Agreed, but that does mean you can install at 1300mm (for example) and sill comply with 132.12

Agreed, but that does mean you can install at 1300mm (for example) and sill comply with 132.12
Concur! IMHO any CU no higher than 1700mm or 1800mm tops is quite easily accessible to perform all reasonably expected reseting functions and maintenance testing etc..

Obviously you also have to take into account other services and fixtures around the location where the CU is to be sited.

But personally I cannot see any logical reason to stuff one right up a ceiling height..

other than a bit of trivial penny pinching saving a few inches of cable on a slightly longer drop to the CU!

i use ours every day morning and night in the morning i turn all our lights on by the mcb and then at nigt i turn them all off again before i go to bed :coat :coat:coatROTFWLROTFWL

i COULD BE WRONG,BUT ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO USE AN mcb AS FUNCTIONAL SWITCHING?
I always said not, but I think you can. Not good practice IMO anyway.

Well I guess if wheelchair users were isolating a circuit so they can change a ceiling rose then complying to part M might make sense.

I can see myself making a call to the NIC about this, but I'm not sure if the cat will be more helpful yet.